Some Q I have on Eating disorders & Getting Better

Please ask our experts here all your questions relating to eating disorders and/or body image.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
alanna

by alanna on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:40 am

Some Q I have on Eating disorders & Getting Better

Hi
I just have a few questions. I have been bulimic for 6 months now and have recently had blood test done to check for any abnormalities. The results have come back normal and I am just wondering if this is common even though I have been throwing up daily often twice?

My BMI dropped to bmi 16.9 but it has gone up to 17.5 because I have been eating alot more and less vomiting.
I Just want to know what is my best chance to recover?

I am seeing the Uni Counsellor/psychologist every two weeks. I feel like I am on my own in this as my family don't know its quite hard.
I started loosing weight at the beginning of the year and then within a few months the vomiting started.
I have become so anxious I have also been feeling really depressed for 9 months. I don't know if I am doing the right thing, my hair has been falling out so much and chest pains from throwing up, but if my bloods are ok does that mean I don't need medical treatment?

I know for sure I don't feel ok, I feel horrible most of the time and I am terrified to take any medication because of weight gain. Is it normal for people who have eating disorders to avoid medication?
I am also so confused about what exactly I am trying to overcome because I have been told Anorexia and bulimia by the psychologist, is it possible to swing between the two? because I feel now that I am really trying to stop throwing up I am returning to restricting again.
Thank you alanna

GeorgiePorge

by GeorgiePorge on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Some Q I have on Eating disorders & Getting Better

Hi Alanna, I have a friend who is bulimic, I personally suffer from bulimia nervosa where exercise and restriction on other days prevent the weight gain from binging, but have never been able to make myself physically sick. My friend can binge and purge up to 12 times a day, yet her blood tests all came back normal when she eventually went to the doctor - so yes it is possible to have normal blood tests. The issue is a mental health one, not physical reasons making you do it.

It is also very common as far as I am aware to switch between restriction and the binge/purge cycle. What you need to try and do is focus on healthy, balanced eating. If you restrict you will be tempted to binge, or even a normal sized meal can make you feel like you've slipped up, which can send you on the downward spiral.

Healthy eating is the key, or "normal" eating. Try three meals a day, and one to two snacks. You will not gain weight through healthy eating (unless you are underweight to begin with?). Believe in recovery - define it in your head and tell yourself what being recovered will feel like, and what it will mean.

Good luck x

alanna

by alanna on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 am

HI Georgieporge

Thank you so much for your reply, it really meant alot to read your insight. Its funny I think I really wanted to use the idea of 'getting bloods done' as a reason to stop throwing up or maybe if the results came back abnormal I would really convince myself that I had to stop, that I had no choice I was damaging my body.I would have used it as a excuse and blamed everything on that, your right in saying that it is a mental health one and not a physical manifestation. I can feel myself deteriorating both mentally and physically. I am so determined to take back control and stop this.

I really want to attempt 'normal eating' I'm not sure if i'm ready though, I am managing two meals a day, sometimes bingeing at night and trying to keep this 'down' is going ok so far, well it has been pretty stressfull. I want to change how I feel about myself and my body but I very much feel like all this is a major coping tool for me and maybe learning new ways to manage the stresses could be a start.

I am sorry to hear that you are also suffering from bulimia, I hope you have or are finding recovery too. I just hope I am doing or trying the right thing for recovery.
I think once I can get the vomiting stopped I will not feel so depressed, I have been feeling so low for so long now and I am desperate to come out of this. Maybe I am just to weak and can not handle these intense emotions.

Dr Trevor Friedman

by Dr Trevor Friedman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 am

Hi. I think you have taken the first important step in recognising that you have an eating disorder. People who are underweight and vomiting regularly can have problems that show up on blood results but commonly the blood results are normal. There are long term effect of binging and vomiting. Many peooe worry about the damage it can do to the enamel on their teeth because of the acid in their vomit. It is good that you are getting help. I am not sure what kind of treatment you are receiving but the best evdience for bulimia is that it should be treated with cognitive behaviour therapy - tretament is highly effective for people who engage in therapy. There are a number of helpful self help books - such as those by Prof Chris Fairbairn - which are also helpful. Make sure your psychologist is an expert on eating disorders as treatment is specific for that condition rather than psychological problems in general.
Dr Trevor Friedman
Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist
BSc MB BS FRCPsych

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... iedman.php

4 posts