Advice needed ASAP

If you have questions about hearing voices, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Steveavfc

by Steveavfc on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Advice needed ASAP

I am writing this on behalf of a friend,he has suffered with hearing voices,seeing things,self harm,failed suicide attempts for about 8 years now,he has been admitted in psychiatric units on numerous occasions. He had some very bad news at the turn of this year resulting in him having a go at his psychiatrist and support worker,because of this he hasn't seen them since January. About 3 months ago he started to go on a major downward spiral and refusing to leave his property as he feels he is being watched and there are demons in the communal hallway waiting for him, when I visit, it is taking him an hour to open the door to me, on my entrance into his flat I noticed he has knives all over the place and baseball bat,he has also covered up the windows with black paper,so on Friday I convinced him to come and stay with me but he is constantly on edge,looking around,talking to himself saying the portals will be opening up and the demons will come for him,they find him anywhere. He has stopped all medication as I believe he had to go fortnightly to have an injection.If I am honest I am concerned for his wellbeing as he does have a history of violence,but he will not let me take him to A & E.
Steve

PS.I was with him last Tuesday when he received a call from Primary care Trust who had spoken with his GP who was concerned about him,and to expect a call from the crisis team,it is now over a week later and still nothing.I also believe he is having suicidal thoughts,but when I questioned it,he said he has to wait for the order to go through with it,when I asked him what he meant,he just went silent.

carsou

by carsou on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Advice needed ASAP

I think the best thing to do it to speak directly to his GP, state your concerns and ask him for a home visit to see your friend.

His Dr can then refer directly to the Crisis Team, based on the information he has regarding your friend. The Crisis Team should be involved in your friends care as soon as possible.

Best of Luck

Dr Johanna Herrod

by Dr Johanna Herrod on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Advice needed ASAP

Dear Steve

It must be very upsetting for you and potentially dangerous for your friend and maybe others. Unfortunately as difficult as it is it does seem that your friend needs to be kept safely somewhere where he can receive the care and treatment he needs. This is likely to be a Psychiatric Hospital and it may have to be against his will i.e. under a Section of the Mental Health Act.
Are you able to contact the Crisis Team yourself? They work 24/7 and you can explain your concerns and the potential risks. Or you can contact the GP, who will also provide a 24/7 service.
The situation now is urgent and needs to be managed safety and with care. And I am sure your friend would want you to act so and will be grateful when he is recovered.

Kind regards Dr Johanna Herrod

3 posts