Difficulty sleeping

If you, or a loved one, have questions about sleep, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Steve

by Steve on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Difficulty sleeping

hello - wondering if you can help. I lost my job through redundancy last year and had a traumatic and stressful time. I've had some work contracting since then but still find it all stressful worrying about money etc. At the moment i'm really suffering with sleep deprivation, somthing I've not suffered with before. No matter what time I go to bed I sleep for a couple of hours then I am awake on and off until the alarm clock goes off. I'm finding it really hard to keep focussed during the day as I'm just not getting enough sleep. Should I go to the doctor and get some tablets or are there any techniques out there that you could recommend? The lack of sleep is begining to wear me down - the more I think of it the less i sleep and the more stressed I'm getting. It's now rubbing off onto my wife and tensions between us are running quite hi.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Dr Johanna Herrod

by Dr Johanna Herrod on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:03 am

Re: Difficulty sleeping

Dear Steve,

It sounds as if this is what we call Psychophysiological Insomnia. This means there is a psychological driver (stress!) that has upset your sleep pattern. Because this is relatively recent it should be straightforward to manage. In the first instance ensure that you are following good Sleep Hygiene techniques; reduce alcohol (likely to be increased when we are stressed!), exercise, low caffeine etc. I would go to your GP for assessment, as you could be depressed as well. He/she will be able to prescribe a sleeping tablet to be used only for a short while to get your sleep back to normal. Given that your problem is frequent mid-cycle waking a longer acting sleeping tablet is likely to be prescribed (like Temazepam).
In addition I would address Stress Management. This will be a good investment for the future, as life doesn’t seem to get easier! You can access Talking Therapy via your GP or ask your GP for a recommendation for a Private Therapist.
The Royal College of Psychiatrists is a good source of information about all this.
If your Sleep problems continue and become chronic then ask your GP to refer you to your regional Sleep Service for more expert help.

Kind regards Dr Johanna Herrod

Dr Trevor Friedman

by Dr Trevor Friedman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 am

Hi. An additional thought ot what has already been suggested. There are a number of techniques that can help with your problem. It is probably a good idea to read about 'sleep hygiene' - common sense ideas about not having caffeine before sleep, only using bed for sleep trather than watching TV or going on the Internet etc. This is to help you behaviourally associate bed with sleep. There are some behavioural techinques that can be helpful in long term insominia. One of the main problems can be the anticipation and furstration of not getting to sleep which becomes a problem in itself. There are programmes where ypu can give yourself 30 minutes to get to sleep and if you are unsuccessful you should get up and go downstairs for 30 minutes before returning to bed and giving yourself another 30 minutes to get to sleep. It's a bit complicated to describe entirely in an email but the idea is that it stops you lying in bed wondering what to do -whether you should get up or stay in bed. It improves your confidence that if you do wake that you can get back to sleep. The advice ffrm the other consultant is also very goood sense.
Dr Trevor Friedman
Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist
BSc MB BS FRCPsych

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... iedman.php

pinkies

by pinkies on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi I dont have any trouble falling asleep but almost every night I have nightmares or do strange things in my sleep and sometimes get out of bed, or imagine that there is somebody in my room. I react as though the situation I am dreaming about is actually taking place.

Dr Johanna Herrod

by Dr Johanna Herrod on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Dear Pinkies,

If your disturbed sleep is affecting your daytime functioning or annoying your bed partner then I would suggest asking your GP to refer you to a Sleep Centre. They will be able to do an assessment and may arrange overnight Sleep Recording to diagnose what is happening.
It is most likely to be “confusional arousal” out of your normal sleep that is maybe disturbed by nightmares. Nightmares are horrible and it would be good to talk to some about them.
A good reference book is by Colin Espie and you could look up “cognitive restructuring” for help with the nightmares.

Kind regards Dr Johanna Herrod Consultant Neuropsychiatrist

Annette Boden - Counsellor

by Annette Boden - Counsellor on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi there
Sleep is so important for our well-being but is sensitive to stress as earlier posts have mentioned. I would certainly support all that has been said previously.
However, you may also want to consider natural alternatives such as Hypnotherapy. I see many people with sleeping issues and insomina and hypnosis- which is essentially a deep form of relaxation and self hypnosis when taught is a very helpful technique to help you get back ont rack with your seleep patterns and to settle the conscious mind- if you focus on something pleasant such as a peaceful place and follow a routine your body will quickly fall into the routine and hopefully get back to your normal sleeping rythyms. We also tend to need less sleep as we get older. Rest and recovery is essential for the body to repair itself and for your emotional and physical batteries to be recharged.
I have a step by step guide to sleep hygiene and self hypnosis on my website that you may find helpful. My website is www.annetteboden.co.uk . It may also be worth getting in touch with a hypnotherapist in your area and have a couple of sessions.
I would also highly recommend meditation as this is an excellent way to settle the mind and bring your focused attention into the present moment and you may want to explore the option of finsing a meditation class near you or any where locally that teaches mindfulness.
I hope that helps.
Annette Boden - Hypnotherapist, psychotherapist, Counsellor
MSc, BSc(Hons)Psychology, MBPsS, FNSHP, ADHP (NC) Adv.Dip THP (N-SHAP), Adv.Dip (NCHP), Member: CRAH; HA; HCB. UKCP registered hypno-psychotherapist. CNHC registered Hypnotherapist.

6 posts