Hardly Any Use Of My Hands.

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
rebeccapeat

by rebeccapeat on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Hardly Any Use Of My Hands.

Hey everyone. I am new to this and thought i wold post something on here to see if anyone is similar or has treatments to help. I have pomphylox Exzema on mainly my right hand but occurs aswell on the left. I have suffered with atopic exzema since i was 5 years old; that is 11 years of my life and only in the last 2/3 years have i suffered with anytrhing as bad as this. I have very rough, wrinkly hands, and i am covered with blisters, sores and cuts in my skin that go so far down its unbelievable. As a lot of the other forums were suggesting, i do use the gloves and cream at night, however this has had no effect on me and has even made a little bit worse. Out of all the symptoms i have, the itching is the worse. I have been subconsisly scratching in my sleep and have even worse hands in the morning. when i scratch, my hands weeps and tend gto become infected which is generally very painful. I have very restricted movement and even typing this is very hard. Due to the exzema, i can not hold a pencil, i cant use my balckberry phone, hold a knife and fork, or even tie a knot properly. I could go on for hours listing all the things. My local council were generous enough to donate a school netbook for my use at school because these are my most important years in respect to my future life, I was very pleased with this but i now have another battle on my hands because the netbook is too small, and my restricted fingers cannot cope with the small keys making it very painful. My mother is my support beam and helps me daily with my struggles, we have tried chubby pencils (like the ones we used when we were 5) and they seemed to work but unfortunatley they had not much control on the paper and were very expensive to buy. Before the pomphlox occured, i chose art as one of my Standard Grade Subjects because i was deemed a great artisit. Now i can barely even look at my artwork without tears forming because i wont be able to draw like that again. My self esteem has dropped and i have gained alot of weight. I find it hard to do activites that i would like to do because either i have a bad flare up, or my skin wont cope with it. I am eager to hear if anyone has had similar things like this or has any suggestions for tretments to try. Thanks everyone <3

janet james

by janet james on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Re: Hardly Any Use Of My Hands.

Hi,

I had a simular problem last year, my hand were so dry that they would bleed everytime I moved them. I started using Lotil cream following a pharmasits advice and it started working well after about 2 days. Its just great stuff. I recommended it to a few members of my family and they all love it too. I use it as a preventative measure now to stop my hands getting in the same state as they were. Might be worth a try, just as an idea.

suepat

by suepat on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm

What is Lotil cream?? Can you buy it over the counter??
I'm suffering with hand eczema and am scared it will never go away.

Storm Cottage

by Storm Cottage on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:04 am

I think you need to get a lot of patch testing done; it sounds to me like you are still in contact with allergens and irritants.

I know the problem as I have to be very careful what creams I use as Im allergic to anything with perfume and a lot of the preservatives too. Im also allergic to beeswax. Without knowing what you are allergic to you could just be using that stuff all the time and making it worse.

I'd suggest an approch similair to an exclusion diet- but with products. Start with perfume free and preservative free stuff and see if things improve. If they do you could then try to add in other stuff or just stick with safe stuff.

I have found pure castille soap works ok for me for washing myself and dishes, but you will have to find what works for you... it can take a long time.

4 posts