Chronic flaky skin on palms [see pictures]

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
alchemizing

by alchemizing on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Chronic flaky skin on palms [see pictures]

Hello!

First timer here, I've been searching for a solution to my current eczema issue on my hands! I realize that many others have had different conditions for many years. I've had it since I was a child, especially terribly dry skin on my hands and legs. It went away for a while during college, but has returned to the palms of my hands and worse than ever I think!

Please see attached photo below of my right hand, it is flaky peeling skin everywhere. I actually tried to look up my diagnosis and can't match any of the skin conditions I read about online because I can't find any pictures which match. My first presumption was when I used latex gloves during volunteering in the summer, where I sweated a lot in it for 4 hours straight. This might have triggered something on my hand. I've been to the dermatologist who didn't even tell me what it was (but noticed a little bit of eczema on my hands), but prescribed me clobetasol and the barrier cream to use for 2 weeks. I used as directed but this didn't go away. The doctor didn't suggest any other solution but to try and use again in another 2 weeks...

Also, my hands are NOT itchy, but I also put coconut oil on my hands to moisturize and put the cotton gloves over so it can sink in, but since my hands are naturally so dry, it sucks it all up so quickly so I'm not sure it's really effective. Since it's super flaky, I'm also prone to peeling prematurely, which sometimes made parts bleed a little. But even I stopped peeling and it still peels on its own anyway, yet the problem is still there... I'm honestly not sure how my hand is supposed to heal when there are random pieces of broken skin constantly everywhere on the palms of my hands. Am I doing something wrong in my treatment procedure?

Has anyone seen this/healed something like this before? Thanks so much for any input.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5fbb ... xEZWdjaXZF

Sandylynn

by Sandylynn on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Re: Chronic flaky skin on palms [see pictures]

Hi, I have I think the same thing on my hands both of them started is small little dry patch on the Palm of my hand and would spread outward always at the outer edge. How recently it seems to have jumped from one spot to a spot on my finger where it feels like cuts. My doctor has said it Is psoriasis but I don't think it is it doesn't look like psoriasis it doesn't itch like psoriasis and it's only on the Palm of my hands. It is painful whenever it did the dryness cracks the skin or whenever I use a shovel or Rake something or a broom handle you know using the Palm of my hands. I try to keep them as dry as possible because any moisture seems to make the skin peel. I tried to upload a picture but it tells me my file is too big and I do not know how to make It small.

Storm Cottage

by Storm Cottage on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:26 am

I've got eczema and my skin has just flaked like that occassionally (sharing a photo of my arm doing it), but mostly I can see redness and blistering too- its rare for it just to look dry and flaking.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep away from all irritants and allergens (including too much water) until it is fully healed- as you say even friction is likely to make it worse.

Myself Im not a big fan of wrapping in cloth after moisturising, I just prefer to keep on moisutising rather than let it soak into the cloth, set aside a few days to intensively treat it.

Skincure

by Skincure on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:10 am

Try Mitlow Herbal Salve. Helped my and my daughter's eczema. It is all natural herbal product available on mitlow.com

chel2809

by chel2809 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi, have your hands ever broken out in tiny blisters, which all join up and in the end your skin comes away in sheets? Is it painful? What I’ve just described to you is what my hands do, it’s known as pomphylox (from the Greek meaning bubble) I think I went through about 5 doctors before I actually got a diagnosis. It’s painful, itchy, I leave a trail of skin everywhere. You can get it on your feet too but so far, fingers crossed) I haven’t experienced that. If you ever find something that helps please let me know?x

5 posts