Constant pain with severe chronic hand eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

16 posts
sharonb19

by sharonb19 on Wed May 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Constant pain with severe chronic hand eczema

hi kirsy..i am so like you...i am 41 and have had eczema all over since childhood. cleared up age 18. now its back with a vengeance on my hands 3 years. anything i tried when i was younger isnt working...i am tortured. have two young boys age 3 and 18 months. hads are painful, itchy i have to put them in scalding hot water to relieve itch, bandage them, glove them every night...and glove them during day...it really is affecting my whole life,,,i have cried, etc...i have just discovered surecare products...washing powder so i am off to buy them tomorrow...although washing clothes products never bothered me before. no creams are working, i have spent hundreds of pounds on homeopathy treatment and am now out £75 a week on chinese medicine, acupuncture cream and tablets but the itch is still there....
Kirstyk33 wrote:I have suffered with eczema for over 30 years and for the past 2/3 my hands are agony. Doc referred me to a dermatologist for first time in 10 yrs. He prescribed Elocon ointment 50/50 and viscopaste bandages!!! This is same treatment I had as a little girl,I have been wrapped nearly everyday since December. It's not helping my hands are the worst they have ever been an work and everyday tasks becoming nearly impossible. Am willing to try anything anybody can think of,I cannot go on in this pain for much longer. Hands are cracked,swollen,itchy and so sore I could cry or seriosly considering cutting them off!!!

sharonb19

by sharonb19 on Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 pm

hi

im sharon aged 41 and have suffered all my life with eczema.. miised half my school because of it...ie couldnt walk or bend arms. it cleared when i was 18 after homeopathy treatment. it has returned with a vengeance to my hands 3 year ago after having my two kids aged 3 and 18 months. none of the creams i used years ago are helping it at all and my last visit to dermatologist a few months back was no good. basically told to keep hands out of water. HELLO... two kids and i do keep them out of water, i have to wear a cotton glove then a non latex/rubber glove to wash dishes, bathe kids, peel, cook bascially everyting. I have spent hundreds of ound recently on homeopathy treatments/chinese treatments etc...no success. i feel so down on days and hae showing my hands. i got engaged a couple of years ago and absolutely felt so horrible when people asked to see ring...my hands are in a terrible state, pain, cracks, swelling, flaky, and the itch is unreal. im scrathcing them on end of tables etc . when they get really itchy i have to bathe them in scalding water and rub them so hard together that my hands are raw...but the relief, be it short lived is heaven! then i have to moisturise, bandage and glove them every night...not a very nice sight going to bed...i have just discovered surcare washing products so im off to buy them tomorrow even though washing products never bothered me before. has anyone else tried it. i have had patch testing etc.

mdreich

by mdreich on Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Argh!!!I feel your pain. I have hand and shin eczema, the hands are worst! I have two young kids, and my doctor told me to stop washing my hands too! Yeah right! How am I supposed to bathe the kids? Do the dishes?, etc..? Also, I am an esthetician! So my hands are wet all the time at work. I have to wear gloves. I have tried so many different types of healing...homeopathy, acupuncture, western meds, chinese meds, diet...nothing works. The only thing that does help with the itching is homeopathic sulfur. The pellets really do help with the itching, but they don't cure it. I have used topical steroids and now the skin on my hands are so thin that I have age spots and skin tags :( Unfortunately I no longer have insurance (thank you USA) I am considering taking steroid injections for my eczema.... but so nervous about it. Do you have any experience with internal steroids? I am so happy to find this site!

Kirstyk33

by Kirstyk33 on Mon May 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Dear Sharon and Mdreich thank you so much for your replys,sometimes it helps just knowing your not alone. :). Sharon I have never tried surcare,keep me posted posted on how you get on with it. My skin got so bad I have actually been off work for more than a month. I am very down and actually can't bear to look at myself in the mirror. To make matters worse my hair started to fall out and I now have quite a large bald patch. Doc signed me off work with depression and put me on prednisolone tablets (steroids). The difference to my skin is amazing but can't stay on them forever. My dermatologist thinks my only option is azathoripine which is an auto-immune surpressant,he took 12 lots of blood and a chest xray so I go back to him on Thursday and all being well will start them he also took extra blood to see if anything that c done about the Polymorphic light eruption( severe blistering) if I am out in the sun for any length te. As Scotland is currently having a heat wave this has been soul destroying. I willkep yous posted on how it goes,thanks again girls for your they really mean a lot xx

megana feet

by megana feet on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi there, have you tried the new treatment, Toctino? It is the newest for hand eczema
I have it on my feet- agony, strangely hands so far spared- but I am sure you would get relief- you may have to go to a different hospital, as not all prescribe it.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Kristy,

Oh dear, read that your allergy testing didn't yield much results.. did you try the skin prick test, and IgE tests? Or you're referring to the patch test of skincare products' ingredients? The skin prick test is the simplest, and quickest.. my daughter did it :)

Let us know if you've any luck getting a more accurate diagnosis and better treatment from a doc?

Cheers,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

16 posts