Constant pain with severe chronic hand eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

16 posts
Kirstyk33

by Kirstyk33 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 am

Constant pain with severe chronic hand eczema

I have suffered with eczema for over 30 years and for the past 2/3 my hands are agony. Doc referred me to a dermatologist for first time in 10 yrs. He prescribed Elocon ointment 50/50 and viscopaste bandages!!! This is same treatment I had as a little girl,I have been wrapped nearly everyday since December. It's not helping my hands are the worst they have ever been an work and everyday tasks becoming nearly impossible. Am willing to try anything anybody can think of,I cannot go on in this pain for much longer. Hands are cracked,swollen,itchy and so sore I could cry or seriosly considering cutting them off!!!

sugarpuffish

by sugarpuffish on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Constant pain with severe chronic hand eczema

I too have had eczema for over 30 years but it was linked to allergies so I have been able to manage it. I do get occasional flare ups but not to the extent you describe. I know we are all different but have you explored possible allergens? What works for me is having natural skincare free from parabens & sls & petrochemicals. I have success with Barefoot botanicals sos creams & Salcura & Balmology.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Have you tried Healan tape to heal the really bad splits? Also my children find wearing cotton gloves day and night help to keep them comfortable.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Kirstyk33

by Kirstyk33 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:43 am

Going for patch testing next month. Have had a steroid tape before but can honestly say even with tape,gloves,steroid cream,emollients and prescription washes my hands haven't been clear for nearly 2 years. Right now I need help putting on a bra!!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm

I totally feel for you, at times my son has had to be fed and cannot write. do you wear cotton gloves day and night, they offer a lot of protection
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Kel25

by Kel25 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Just posted about my split hand in general forum, will look into healan tape, thanks
Mine is nowhere near as severe as yours sounds but you have my utmost empathy

Kirstyk33

by Kirstyk33 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 am

Well folks had my allergy testing done and am now no better off. Dermatoligist turned to me and said " it may benefit your skin If you stopped wearing perfume. That was it that was results,advice i got from him. I HAVE had Eczema most of my life so i HAVE never had a bubbe bath,never had sofetner for ma clothes an never ever have i wore perfume!! Cant get myself lifted after this at all. Have lost all Hope. Just want to be comfortable in my own skin,even just for a wee while. Feel,ugly,unlovable,scabby,not good enough,exactly like i did When i was a wee lassie.

Kel25

by Kel25 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52 am

I dont know what to say, nothing I could say would help but I couldnt leave the post unanswered after reading it..
I could come up with all sorts of glib comments about not giving up on hope but I know how hard it can be to hear that - someone once told me that I am so much more than my skin, it doesnt have to define you - I hated hearing it but I still remember it.
Sending huge (but gentle) hugs xxx

Kirstyk33

by Kirstyk33 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks so much kel25 really means a lot just knowing somebody is listening and i mean that from the bottom of my heart. I try an not make it all about my skin,i Dont even tell my husband how i feel mostthe time because theres nothing worse than moaning minnie. My family arent very understanding either(its only me that has Eczema) my brother actually said to me " am just Glad its you Thats got it and not me" Never have i let my skin stóp me from doing anything an usually i just get on with it. These past 2 years have been the worst ever an feel nobody listening,dermatoligist is hopeless. Somedays you feel so alone,talk forums give me a chance to vent. Thank you again for your reply means so much ur

Kel25

by Kel25 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 pm

You're more than welcome Kirsty, I use forums for lots of things and you're right, they're the only things that help sometimes.
Do you know what annoys me most - when someone sees your eczema and says "cant you put some cream on that?" - what one earth do they think we do if no one suggests it, just sit there with our skin peeling off in chunks!!! :roll:
My dermatologist told me to not get my hands wet - I have two kids and the youngest was under a year at the time, when I said that would be impossible he said that I'd make it possible if I really wanted.
So anyway - more than happy to be here if you want to vent - no probs x

16 posts