I can't take much more of this

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
Samanthauk

by Samanthauk on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 pm

I can't take much more of this

Hi all .

I've had contact dermatitis for 3 years and have had so the tests and know what I'm allergic to and what I need to stay away from , I wear globes all the time and even when washing my hair , I no longer use anything with perfumes or alcohol in it and the doctors have given me every cream , every lotion , antibiotics , steroid cream which makes my skin so thin it rips but still my hands and fingers are so dry and sore and ugly and crack open 24 hours a day , they bleed and burn and I can't leave the house apart from work as people look at them and say things and I haven't been on a date in 3 years because of this.

There has to be something else I can try , please anyone, someone give me some advice

ashleighriley

by ashleighriley on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Re: I can't take much more of this

Has your doctor ever discussed light therapy? Or photo therapy?
My eczema was very bad (all over.. even on my scalp!) And every crease was infected for three solid months. Nothing the gp tried settled it. And then I was sent for photo therapy. Since having the treatment I have not had a flare up on my arms or legs!
Might be worth looking into.
Hope this helps :)

Storm Cottage

by Storm Cottage on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:38 am

I would suggest initially trying a different sort of disposable glove... you need to rule out any glove material allergies.

Storm Cottage

by Storm Cottage on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:53 am

If it isnt glove material related it is likely something you are using is still setting you off. I'm allergic to a lot of preservatives... they are in almost everything. I now make my own skin cream and keep it in the freezer (its mostly coconut oil, canola oil, water and agar agar, but Ive added everything else that ever helped like with aloevera powder, witch hazel powder and turmeric- it does have a slight green tint to it! :lol: )

I cant wear gloves, due to missing fingers, so Ive had to try to cope by excluding allergens and irritants from my life instead. Believe me Im not suggesting this is the route to go down :cry: ... gloves are the route... but it does mean I have a lot of experience in finding allergens and irritants.

One thing to remember is that you can become allergic to anything, so once safe doesnt mean always safe. If you are constantly flaring that suggests an allergic reaction, if its just impossible to get skin better that suggests you are drying it out to much by contact with irritants and water.

I'm down to using liquid soap for washing myself, my hair, my dishes (its useless in dishwasher unfortunately- and I cant get decent result from dishwasher with just water- Im still stuck with a dish brush at the sink and about ten times the amount of cutlery a the average sane person owns).

I'm also down to relying on things like pot noodles and bean feast and dried potato etc to minimise contact with veg during meal prep. I have terrible reactions to onion, but dried onion is ok so far I scoop it into cooking pans and avoid touching it. Its hundreds of miles from my previous hands on veggie cooking which involved lots of sticky lentil burger prep... and I still have to take supplements to avoid anaemia.

All this stuff is crazy TLC I know, but my skin has improved a bit.... I still havent been able to get it fully healed, but every little bit helps to stop flaring and increase the chances of it getting out of the dry stage to fully healed.

I know how you feel Im mid the process of trying to get an Advance Directive so that if I need to be resusitated they dont bother- my GP says Im overreacting.... its hard not to wish this stuff on them, clueless doesnt even cover it.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 am

Hi Storm Cottage

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

GaryTurner

by GaryTurner on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:09 pm

I may have the cure. My contact dermatitis also started 3 years ago. Came out of nowhere, started on the fingertips of my thumb, pointer, and middle fingers only. Then this past year has spread to my palms and fingers. I just had peeling skin, dry cracking and also raw looking. Also very painful slits on finger tips. The pain was bad and I was always miserable. I never got blisters and it was never itchy. Im a carpenter and had been dealing with bandaids on my fingers everyday. I have been to many doctors and tried everything. I tried all the steroid creams but they only provided temporary relief. The Prednisone 10 day pills worked great but it would come back after a month. Cortisone shots worked awesome but it would just come back elsewhere. I also thought it was allergy so I went hypo-allergenic everything. Also have been wearing rubber gloves for everything.

At this point I gave up but I tried one more recommendation. About mid November, I gave up all prescription meds and started using 2 products on the same day. One is Extra Strength Natures Bounty - Hair, Skin, and Nails supplement, and the other is Eucerin Eczema Relief Cream. I was very consistent and after a week I started seeing results. Its now been a month and a half and is just about completely gone. My worst area was my left thumb tip, it has been receding and it is looking great, probably one more week. I live in the northeast, and always got slits on the fingertips once the temperature drops, but so far no slits. Not sure which one is working. Im leaning towards the Natures Bounty supplement which leads me to believe it was a lack of a dietary nutrient this whole time, but Im not sure. Also, I never used an oil based cream either.

So try both together. I got my hands back and i am not miserable anymore.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:15 am

Hi GaryTurner

Thank you for your helpful and supportive post.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Skincure

by Skincure on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:07 am

Mitlow Herbal Salve helped my and my daughter's eczema. It is all natural herbal product available on mitlow.com. Soothes the skin right away.

8 posts