Chemicals at work

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
aleisha

by aleisha on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am

Chemicals at work

For approximately the past year, my eczema has been out of control. I go to work and avoid as many chemicals as I can, but the residual residue still makes my hands/arms swell, blister, crack and bleed. I rehab my skin on my days off, but every week I go back to work and the cycle starts over again. I saw my doctor and she gave me a cream, but it doesn't seem to work. My work provided me with "dishwashing" gloves to protect my skin, but since they have touched the chemicals too now, they make me break out just as bad. My question is, after letting this go on for so long, do I have rights to require my work to provide me with further protective gear since what I have isn't working? I don't like to complain to my bosses, but the pain is getting to be too much, and they act like I just have dry skin. What should I do?

Annie

by Annie on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Chemicals at work

Hello Aleisha, I am sorry to hear of the trouble you have with work making your eczema worse. I have eczema on my hands, too, and I do feel it is such a difficult area, as we do inevitably wash our hands many more times in a day than we do any other part of the body, and creams need reapplying so often. Apart from that, a lot of treatment creams and emollients are too greasy to comfortably use in a work environment. You don't say what it is that you do and what kind of chemicals you are required to handle there. Perhaps you could provide a bit more information in order for someone to advise you better. My first reaction, though, is that your employers have a duty of care towards you to provide any protection necessary for your condition not to be aggravated by the work you are required to carry out. Best wishes from Annie

dylan

by dylan on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 am

Hi Aleisha,

You have to use the correct body wash and hand wash. This will avoid any such break outs. I do not mean to be blunt but in this day and age, it seems employers do not care about employees as well as they used to...just look at the redundancies around the world. It is up to you to go the extra mile and get better.
Last edited by admin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Web addresses are not allowed in signatures unless the member is a talkhealth blogger or partner

dylan

by dylan on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:08 am

sorry Aleisha what exactly do you do for work? You can send me a private message if you like to answer this one.
Last edited by admin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Web addresses are not allowed in signatures unless the member is a talkhealth blogger or partner

AtriumLegal

by AtriumLegal on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Aleisha
Regarding your question if you still have rights, of course you do. You have done everything right and reported the issue. Just because your employer provided you with gloves doesn't mean that they no longer have any responsibility. The protection they provide HAS to be adequate to the situation both yours and the job.
I would recommend you have another word with your HR department or manager and say you are not happy.
If they don't listen to you, you would be able to make a dermatitis claim for compensation.
Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

5 posts