experiencing multiple forms of eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
diggyy__

by diggyy__ on Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 pm

experiencing multiple forms of eczema

Hi there,

My name is James and i have been suffering from what i believe to be different forms of eczema on and off for around 10 years. i have had both long periods (years) of having no symptoms to having huge flare ups going right up my arms.

It was first noticed at around 10 years of age as a almost oval red rash on the back of each hand. After a visit to the doctor he decided it was contact dermatitis, however gave no explanation to what i might be coming into contact with that could be causing it. Some steroid cream and a few years later it fizzled out of existence for years.

Towards the end of my school career it started to flare up again with no obvious catalyst, only this time it appeared to spread to my fingers. I was experiencing a rash on the back of my hand that appeared different to the one on my fingers, but i thought nothing of it as it began to disappear again after a year or so.

Fast forward a year or two the first year of University and after living a few weeks-months of an unhealthy lifestyle (to say the least) the 'eczema' returned again. Firstly on the back on my hands (red, dry and itchy patch), then spreading to my fingers (scaly, red raw, with tiny pustules in places, dyshidrotic eczema maybe?), to then all the way up my arm to mid bicep in perfectly circular patches that looked similar to what was on the back of my hand (discoid eczema i believe this is called). It was horribly itchy, sore and ugly. Hot water out the tap would always itch the scratch for a short period of time but leave me feeling even more comfortable.

After three years of flare ups i finished uni, in the year since being home the rash has seemed to stay local to my fingers, with flare ups of incredibly itchy tiny spots of liquid (dyshidrotic again i believe). I recently took penicillin for a tooth infection which seemed to clear the irritation on my fingers, however i am beginning to feel and see the pustules returning.

It has been my life long dream to join the Royal Marines however this won't be possible with eczema present. Does anybody have any experience with showing symptoms of multiple types of eczema? what does this mean? does it stem from just one type that causes the others? if so, what can i do to ease or eliminate the initial main eczema?

sorry for the long post but i thought the past context may resinate with someone who has had it before and maybe knows what to do. Like i say the main one i appear to be suffering from now is the dyshirotic type.

Many thanks again.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed May 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Re: experiencing multiple forms of eczema

Hi diggyy__ ,

Sorry to hear of your frustrating journey with eczema. You may want to check out one of our client's websites. They are called Chuckling Goat and they explain the link between your gut microbiome and skin conditions. A lot of people have had fantastic results with drinking kefir to balance their gut bacteria and thus eliminate their eczema. Please find a link to their website here:

https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts