I'm struggling to fight my hand eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
fedshc

by fedshc on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm struggling to fight my hand eczema

I don't have an effective way to deal with my eczema battle yet, but I'd like to share with you my struggles.

My hand started to show blisters when I was pregnant with my first kid fourteen years ago. Over the course of 14 years, the blisters have spread from the fingers to the palms and to the back of the hands. My hands are sore with swollen, infected, weeping blisters and all kinds of symptoms you can imagine. I've been on clobetasol for two years. I've to admit that I use it almost continuously for two years because new blisters keep coming up. I stopped using that during this past summer and tried to figure my eczema patterns. However, the hand eczema got so bad that it has spread to my torso, arms, legs, neck, ear, face, and scalp. I teach college students and some of the students looked so scared when they spotted my hands. My kids are scared also when they look at my hands. I totally understand, but I am still really depressed. I could not find anyone to talk to. If you don't have eczema, you don't really understand what people have eczema have gone through.

However, I am doing something to fight against my eczema. I read more about this disease in the summer and looked back my medical history to see if I missed something. Since I have allergy and have been taking allergy shot, I went back to my ENT to have blood test for food sensitivity and I'll go back two weeks later to read the results. I also went back to the dermatologist to have a biopsy done. It turns out to be nummular dermatitis or contact dermatitis. I'm going to have a patch test done soon.

While I'm waiting for all these testing results, I'm taking probiotics, using cotton gloves almost all day, moisturing my hands as much as possible. I still need to use the clobetasol to keep my hands in control. I also use triamcinolone for my body and the part of the hand which does not look so infected. Since the eczema on my body keeps flaring up, I'm also taking oral steroid.

I hope my struggle will turn out to be a successful one. Right now, I just have to do what I can do. Thanks for listening!

suepat

by suepat on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: I'm struggling to fight my hand eczema

Oh goodness that sounds really terrible ... you have my heartfelt sympathies ... i am having hand eczema but it is not as bad as the symptoms you describe.
I get blisters that drive me totally nuts and my hands burn and crack. i am going to investigate food intolerance testing ... doctors so far did nothing for me except steroids which actually seemed to make it worse in longterm as each time i come off them symptoms seem worse than before. i have been on oral steroids for my hands and currently am using steroid cream as little as poss. I have tried chinese herbs from reputable practitioner - they were brilliant - only problem was the cost, i just couldn't afford to keep them going. i wish we could get them on the NHS instead of chemical creams which have horrible side effects.

sio avauli

by sio avauli on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:09 pm

I too have bad hand dermatitis ive gad it for the past 5years and ive just had enough I get stressed all the time which is probably the trigger but cunt help it my lityle blisters turn into big bubbles and I.feel helpless as as I have a 18mth daughter and cunt do things a normal farther would do but my partner kweps telling me dont give up so I think I just need to change the way I eat and keep doing rsearch thats why I like going on these siyes and reading aboit people who has the same problem.

BasmaKahin

by BasmaKahin on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 am

I've had areas where I have chronic eczema, and foderma serum has been the first product to completely relieve my issues. I do have to make sure I use it daily, but it's great to finally have these spots under control! This is part of my daily routine now.

4 posts