Swollen, sore and weeping left hand

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Kathryna_9

by Kathryna_9 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Swollen, sore and weeping left hand

Hello

I have been suffering with eczema on the back of my left hand for about 4 months now, I did have pomphylyx on my palms, particularly my left, and feet before this, which eventually cleared up with Dermovate. I went to a consultant in November for all my eczema, which I particularly suffered with on my neck, creases of my arms and legs, and underarms down the sides of my torso. I was treated with lots of diprobase, Protopic on a night and elocon on a morning. I noticed a difference everywhere but my hand within a few days, it was amazing!! I'm still on with this treatment now and it's keeping it pretty much under control.

But my hand just did not clear up. It developed a swollen appearence but mainly scarring in the middle, and eventually small blisters in the webbing between my thumb and forefinger.

I brought my appointment forward a month because of this, and my consultant suggested two biopsies.
He said he's looking for a possible fungal infection. Has anyone else has these investigations done or come across it?

I went out last night and decided to wear a bandage, which I don't usually do unless I'm at work or sleeping. It was quite late when I went out so I kept it on overnight, then changed it this morning. I had to take it off because it was itching and I needed to cool it down.

That was about 2 hours ago, and my hand is still swollen and weeping. It almost looks like a film on my skin, with pinprick holes in it where the clear fluid is oozing out. I'm trying to leave it alone and it's not as itchy now.

It's scaring me now!! It looks like something is eating away at my skin.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Kathryn

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 am

Re: Swollen, sore and weeping left hand

Hi Kathryn,

Sorry to hear what you're going through - no experience with fungal investigation though eczema skin is more vulnerable to such infection, and also from bacteria infection. If you're having a fever or getting chills, please see a doctor or even consider going to emergency if you really feel unwell as infection can lead to serious complications for people with eczema skin that's infected.

Hugs,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Kathryna_9

by Kathryna_9 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks for your reply Marcie Mom.

After reading your reply and taking advice from my Mum I got in touch with my consultants secretary to ask her to pass on a message about how much worse my hand had got in the week since he recommended the biopsies, in case it made him think there was anything else I could do etc. I didn't think I'd get far but I received a phone call from the consultant himself today, who asked me to come in a few hours later. When I saw him he did the tests there and then! So although I'm sat here with a throbbing pain as the anaesthetic has worn off, I am so glad at the same time. Will have to wait 6 weeks for the results but hopefully it'll be worth it.

Thanks for giving me a further shove so I didn't sit and suffer for longer than I needed to!!

Kathryn

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 am

Hugs Kathryna!

Good to hear and in the meantime, don't be afraid to check back on the frequency of cream application (if you're prescribed) and say, whether you should chlorhexidine the area (an antiseptic for bacterial removal). And also if it's not weepy, it should be moisturized and if it is, I've no experience with that but probably have to dry up the weep, then can proceed to protect the skin barrier.

Thanks, you made my day really, I comment lots here, even repeating the same tips again and again, and you're the first who encouraged me that what I'm doing is worth it! Love helping someone across the globe, I'm in Singapore!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts