Omg! Gonna cry over my hands!

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

9 posts
jwcricket1980

by jwcricket1980 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Omg! Gonna cry over my hands!

Here it is... Haven't read anything like my stitch hopefully someone can give advice! Bout two years ago finger broke in rash. Very common eczema rash diagnosed by two derms. Given multiple prescriptions, I count about 5, plus all my wanna be home remedies. Has been in full rash mode for 2 years minus a 1 week break.. Not sure why... Nothing has changed.. Tried everything its getting bigger and bigger. This is its cycle -- itchy, scratch, skin flakes off and bleeds, you can see several layers of skin m going through. Put some sort of med on it.. Heals about 60% overnite with any prescription. After prescription has been used about 2-3 times it now responds as an allergy?? It has little tiny red bumps in a blister, it is sooo itchy I can't ignore, I scratch, it oozes, then start whole cycle ... If I ignore the itchiness, it cracks and bleeds... Either way a lose lose stitch... Originally thought it was an allergy have tried wearing gloves all day and nite long checking to serif it was something I was touching..? It's not... Even if I use a lotion it seems I'm allergic... This rash has taken over 3 of 5 fingers on one hand, where it hurts to bend them or even put them in water... The only thing that actually makes them feel a little soothed is burning hot water... Odd?? Yes...! Here's a list of things I tried.. Most resulting in some sort of reaction...that being said if I take the same item and put it somewhere else on my body i do not or have never broke Out in any rash... Here goes, vitamin e, emu oil, brocco fusion, Vaseline, diaper rash cream, aveeno baby, aveeno eczema, oatmeal bath, polysporin, calamine, avocado egg mixture, Vaseline lotion, paraffin wax, that's just off the top my head...any other ideas would be helpful.. Or if someone has the same allergy type reaction... ? My history is sensitive skin... Enough to know avoid everything unless its baby version for soaps and lotions.never had anything like this... In the last week I now have rash on inside of elbows, and top of other hand... Not quite the same rash hopefully it doesn't change into the eating of fingers, oozing, bleeding,swollen fingers!!! Swollen so much it's tight to bend them and painful...! Had enough!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 am

Re: Omg! Gonna cry over my hands!

Sorry to hear of your hand eczema - have you had an allergy test? And perhaps also a patch test to find out what ingredients in skin care or chemicals you come into contact with which trigger the rash?

Do keep us updated, and take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Iritirii

by Iritirii on Wed May 01, 2013 5:01 pm

I have hand excema- now what I am about to tell may go against doctor recommendation due to what you need to do in order to apply.

When your excema is in blister form break the skin- squeeze some fluid out. Now go get FRESH garlic break it with your fingers and rub the inside on your open wound.

I was using a topical cream- it just did not help- it would alleviate a bit but that was it. STOP TAKING THESE CREAMS! They are horrible for your body.

Now the process I just describe I resorted to because I had stopped using the cream altogether and my blisters had started to become very deep.

Each application of the garlic on an open wound COMPLETELY CLEARED the excema in that area- no cracked or itch. In 2 days without reapplication- and no scarring/pain.

Now I dont know how well this would work as long as you are using a cream regimen because garlic isnt intrusive [by that I mean if you dont break the skin the garlic cannot help the wound so if the wound is full of a cream or something I doubt the garlic can effect it]. So I would suggest to stop using your cream for a while before. If someone tries this right away with cream in their system and it works please correct me on this.

I need to clear up the breaking of the skin- I am not talking about just popping the blister I mean remove the skin over the affected area completely. This skin your removing should NOT cause any pain and definately no bleeding- If your not comfortable with this I would suggest to find someone who is because it may need accuracy depending on the deepness.

If anyone out there has discovered this please confirm what I had said because those creams are terrible. If you try this please post on other forums about the results because again creams are terrible

jwcricket1980

by jwcricket1980 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:03 am

Well thank you for the responses! Appreciated, but have some fantastic news!!! I'm healed!!!!!!! It sounds pretty odd...but.... It's gluten?!?!? Since posting I decided to try gluten free as someone had mentioned... An gluten free was literally 100% no cheating....!!Needless to say I completely healed, an all those odd symptoms that I blamed on getting older went away... I recently went back on gluten an my sores are coming back and symptoms have returned with a vengeance! Only based on knowing I'm going to see the doc in a few days an definitely will be requesting tests to confirm... I am set up for a regular allergy test that's in August... But after 30 plus years of eating what ever I wanted and this has cured me...,! I really wanted to tell everyone as I would never have suspected this and I just happened to go on a diet where I cut all the carbs!! I noticed a significant decrease in symptoms.. So after putting a few things together in my head this is it!!! Please share with anyone!!!! The gluten was out of my system for 9 days and this was long enough to heal me! Looking back at my symptoms I can recognize them now... But really there was nothing to significant to warrant a trip to the doctor...

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue May 28, 2013 7:15 am

Good to know - there's some stats that people with eczema tend to have a higher likelihood to gluten allergy, but do take test to confirm. It's good to confirm, so you know for sure if it's something you'd have to avoid. On the other hand, it could be an environmental trigger that is no longer around.. so do take the test!

Cheers!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

moshgreene

by moshgreene on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for posting jwcricket1980. I was having similar issues and nothing was working to treat or cure it. Every time I visited a doctor, they could give me a steroid cream and send me on my way. But it never helped. This has been going on for years.

But then I saw jwcricket1980's post and gave the gluten-free lifestyle a try. I'm 39 and have been ingesting gluten my whole life - so results didn't happen overnight. It's taken about 3 months but I am definitely seeing results. I've been accidentally exposed to gluten a few times and the blisters on my hands flared back up.

Gluten is very misunderstood in the U.S. We read the book by Elizabeth Hasselbeck and that's been a gateway to other great resources.

jwcricket1980

by jwcricket1980 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:59 pm

That's awesome that this may be your culprit. I guess I should give an update. So I went gluten free for awhile and I healed as previously stated. I have been able to bring gluten into my diet again. I still flare up but it is way more manageable. It's is sooo hard to be gluten free and the effect it had on my body was crazy strange. I know my body does not like gluten... But my mind wants it so bad. So I initially went 100% gluten free! now I'm back to having gluten!! In small doses... It was enough to clear up my problem... I know this may sound as if gluten is not the problem... I have tried multiple times too make sure it is.. And this is the conclusion I came too.. So it's always worth trying!!

julieo22

by julieo22 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:18 pm

hi, i have been the same as you for 2/3 years with the eczema/dermatitis all over my hands, i have lost my job over it as i worked in school kitchens... anyway i just wanted to say how i coped with it, i had every steroid cream the docs could give me and had upva light therapy at the hospital twice a week for 6 months, none of it seemed to make a real difference. I read about apple cider vinegar and tried it, it was scary to think of putting that on my already extremely split/ weeping agonizing skin but did anyway! thank god i did.. it was instant relief, cant tell you how that felt. as time went on my skin became resistant to that(maybe i didn't use it as much as i should have) and i ended up with the splits/pain again, i tried washing my hands in emollient and then wrapping cling film round my hands and going to bed like it(nice!!) that also helped for a while and the eczema started to heal a bit, i have to say you MUST wash your hands about every hour and keep any dirt away as it does seem to make it worse!!!( not in the night) after a few months using cling film i can now use my hands, i wash them with a tea tree soap(health food shops) and i use a nail brush to scrub my hands and under the nails, then use your emollient cream, all i can say is that it does seem to be stuff that you are in contact with that inflames it and general dirt/dust, i have used gloves to do any work/cooking since it started, i had allergy tests and they came back clear, im 45 and had never had any skin conditoins before this.. hope anything i said helps:) :)

9 posts