Wedding in a week bad hand eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

55 posts
JC_USN

by JC_USN on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 pm

25 yr old, just diag w/ hand eczema, 3 mons WONT GO AWAY:

I'm 25 and I'm in the US Navy.

One day i noticed the tips of ALL my fingers to be extremely dry. It appeared the top layer of my skin was peeling off. I thought it was just dry skin, so I started piling on lotion.

About 2 weeks later I noticed no difference, so I went to medical. They told me it was dermatitis and gave me hydrocortisone cream. I used that for a week and it didnt help at all.

I went to a dermatologist who told me it was hand eczema/fingertip eczema and gave me .25% Triaminocinolone (spelling?) and I used that for two weeks, but it didnt help either.

I was then given 1% Triaminocinolone to use for two weeks, and it hasnt helped at all either. NOT AT ALL.

Finally, I've been given Clobetasol to use. I've been using it for 6 days and I'm still not any better at all. I'm also on day 3 of a Methylprednisolone dose pack. I'M STILL NOT BETTER:(

I've literally had this problem for 3 months! and its never gotten any better:( I'm wondering if I even have eczema.

My fingertips are red, but they dont really itch at all. They just feel slightly "raw". I cant do things like use a screwdriver or anything that really puts pressure on my hands. I have no blisters or cracking in my skin that causes bleeding. On all my fingertips, i have a lot of "lines" along with the redness. The lines look a little deeper than the normal lines on most people's hands/fingers, and they just appeared one day when i started having these problems.

Someone PLEASE help me! I'm going crazy over here. Do I have even have eczema? What can i use that will actually work?

Thanks in advance for your input!

ironchef

by ironchef on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:11 am

Re: 25 yr old, just diag w/ hand eczema, 3 mons WONT GO AWAY:

Hmmm...I have eczema. My fingertips sound just like yours - red, with deeper lines, dry, sensitive to pressure. But the rest of my hands are itchy and red. It's odd that the rest of your hands don't have any itchy spots? Around the time you started noticing your fingertips, did you start eating anything different, do anything different in your routine, or was it a stressful time?

BrucieTee

by BrucieTee on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 pm

When it comes to hand excema, i can be very frustrating. The skin there is easily thinned because we wash out hands and so many chemicals come in contact with our skin there. THe best thing I can suggest may be painful, but it's worked for me. Take a tub or warm water and pour a couple of tablespoons of salt in and let it dissolve. Then submerge your hands in there and massage the skin where its red gently. After that, apply vaseline (or any petroleum jelly), or lotion like aveeno or eucerine. Those will keep your hands moisturized. Try not to use the creams your doctors gave you. Those are for when it itches. It seems like the skin on your fingers are just raw because they are healing to build up the layers again. The salt water kills any bacteria left on your hands, then lotion will let your skin recover while being protected. Best of luck to you.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Salt water baths are supported by our NHS dermatologist. Well worth a go. I was even given an information sheet of how to go about it. My mum's eczema improves greatly in the sea.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

1635Mary

by 1635Mary on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Hand Eczema

Hi, my daughter (12 yrs) just showed me her hands today. The palms are covered with a sore, itchy, dry rash. I'm pretty sure its eczema. I'm puting Fucidin H cream on it to try to get it under control. But the hands are so hard to manage cause obviously you no sooner put the cream on than she may need to use the bathroom etc.

The cream has to be on to do its work so is it better not to wash hands as regular or to reapply after every wash?

Any ideas appreciated.

Mary

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Hand Eczema

Hi

My son is struggling greatly with his hands. We were told after about half an hour the creams should have been absorbed so you shouldn't keep putting more on. When his hands are bad he wears cotton gloves all day and night. During the day as well as providing a comfortable protective barrier they also keep his hands clean so we change them regularly through the day and his hands need washing less. Does the rash look infected? If not then you only need a steroid and I have the feeling Fucidin H contains anti biotic. do get your daughter to moisturise regularly and use the moisturiser as her soap. Has she had it before? If not have you a new soap or cleaning product she has used or soap at school? Good luck
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

jettablue2004

by jettablue2004 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 am

hands on fire, any remedies

Ok, my hands are burning me, and the urge to scratch is over powering my will power no too... I bought fish oil pills ( tripple plus ) the strongest one there is. im using eucerin as well, and A+D ointment.. and washing my hands with cetaphil soap.... i need help, i just cant take it... my next step for relief is hands under the hot water, then putting the eucerin on, then put some cotton socks over my hands.. there has to be a better way of living.. this cant be it.

PLEASE HELP.... :cry: IM DESPERATE TO TRY ANYTHING.. PRICE NO OBJECT

QUESTION?? is there a chance i could be allergic to my friends cat? i just recently moved in with her.

ironchef

by ironchef on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: hands on fire, any remedies

The cat and possibly other allergies could be the trigger. Get tested for allergies. I've had eczema for 33 years and only when I seriously avoided things I was allergic did my symptoms ease up. Try Evening Primrose Oil for healthy omega 6's to balance out the omega 3's you are getting with the fish oil. You may be getting too much omega 3's...there always needs to be a balance. Try Glaxal base mixed with 20% glycerin...I find it gentler and more moisturizing.

Oh, and try taking a strong acidopholis.

ellesea

by ellesea on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:00 pm

I think I've already answered but in a different message but seriously try this -

3 tablets/day
http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?actio ... m_id=10908

this creme stops the itch and makes it all nicey nice
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp83730_33318 ... _creme.htm

get some tea tree oil too because if your scratching your exposing yourself to infections

and the best advice is RELAX!! chill out, stop worrying.... it helps too : )

when you start feeling better this way you should really try to find a nutritionist to sort out your intollerances etc. - it helped me a great deal too. i've suffered from eczema on my face, forearms, and hands since I was a kid. I now know to keep away from cats, nickel (red wine from france & spain have traces of it), laundry detergent (I use fairy only because ecover doesn't clean as well)

hope this helps!!
xx

charlotte

by charlotte on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:29 pm

i had to shudder when I read this because I'm allergic to both cats and fish (oil). If your hands started itching when you moved in it very well could be an allergy- either to the cat or to another environmental thing. Have you started using her laundry detergent, different soaps, or eating new foods since the move?

Anyway I'd suggest trying an antihistimine because if it is the cat or another allergy that should help at least a little bit until you figure it out.
Good luck!

55 posts