Wedding in a week bad hand eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

55 posts
sf34_22

by sf34_22 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: Please help me with my Hand Eczema

Chobo I do feel for you as I have hand eczema too although your's sounds much worse. Have you tried massaging Olive Oil gently into your hands?

chobo

by chobo on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:48 pm

I haven't tried Olive oil yet. I read / heard that oil draws stuff out of the skin like tar coal and that didn't work out too well for me.

Hope

by Hope on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:42 am

Hi I understand your problem.. first hand experience :lol: I suggest you put coconut oil, its worked wonders for me. Also I would suggest the use of pond's mositurizer.. the only reason i suggest this brand is because.. its cream base has just enough oil not too watery not too sticky.. sometimes, i used to get to itchy i used to apply from one bottle i kept in the refrigerator! IT REALLY HELPED. Thank God.. am out of the cortisone rut. I found application of protopic helpful. However, I must say, I din use the commercial one, me n dad used to make it.. we both are doctors.. Also, if i get itchy all of a suddent i put my hands under cold running tap water. Hope I have helped in some way! Hope to hear some respite from you.. Take care !!

chobo

by chobo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you guys for your tips. Last night was pretty bad... First time in two months it started to weep due to itching :( I seem to be scratching when I am dreaming so I couldn't prevent it. I bought some Cetaphil emollient for normal to dry skin, hopefully that will at least help the red areas that are not yet itchy.

I have read some great things about the coconut oil, and will try that on one of my hands to see how it goes. We use coconut oil for cooking certain meals so at least I already have some. If it gets any worse I probably have to use my steroid cream so I don't get it infected again.

Hope

by Hope on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 am

not to worry chobo.. jus remember 'this to shall pass'.. try coconut NOW, dont procrastinate :) hope it works tc

Sammie

by Sammie on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Hey there Chobo,
I understand completely what you are going through, I also had eczema in my teens, mine was on the palms of my hands, fingers, soles of my feet.
I had suffered from this for 20 years.
My skin would bleed, weep, crack, and eventually I would have no skin on either my hands of feet. And I have also put cream on my skin, and there has been so much weeping that the cream sits on top of it. :cry:
It was very painful and frustrating.
I would also bandage my skin to, with elasticated bandages..(not crete bandages). They are expensive, but can be washed and reused.

I have had patch tests, radionics, steroids, food diaries, vitamins.
Now I eat everything from fresh, I do not use chemical cleaning products, or toiletries
It has taken years of trying and testing various things to reach this point....But well worth it. ;)
I have not had an outbreak for many years now...

I do not advocate using steroids, as it has rapid results whilst using them, but once you think you have the disease under control it comes back even more agressive.
Also if your skin is infected, it will itch more. I used Oilatum plus when my skin was infected.

Sounds to me like you are very aware of what may cause it to become worse, and are trying all you can to improve your situation.
I remember using Vasiline on my hands, and where I had put my finger in the pot and places it in my palm, I had no skin at all; even where I had touched my face with Vasiline on it, I had eczema...... :?
Well, that was the end of the Vasiline....:D
And your stituation sounds very similar to that!? Maybe you are touching something that you are not aware of????

Have you had patch tests? If I suspect I am allergic to anything new I want to use I test myself:
Take a plaster (I use Tesco sensitive) and place a small amount of what you think may be causing eczema or irritating your skin, and put on the plaster. Where this for two to three days, on the underside of your wrist. when you remove the plaster, you will see, the area will be blistered.

I hope that this information will provide you with some new ideas?

I wish you well..x

chobo

by chobo on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 pm

I am currently trying coconut oil on my left hand and the moisturizer on my right hand to see if one helps more than the other. I continue to eat yogurt everyday, sometimes twice a day and still take 1 probiotic pill and one dose of omega 3-6-9 oil. I am going to continue avoiding milk for now, until I get some sort of allergy test done (not the skin prick test).

Thankfully I was able to get my right hands itchiness under control by moisturizing 3 - 4 times a day and moisturizing right before going to sleep. I also put on a special cotton glove that is tight fitting and hard to scratch through. I am going to look into seeing a naturopath who specializes in eczema. I remember I tried once before about 6 years ago, but it was a complete waste of money. The guy took my blood pressure and weight and then told me about all these super expensive treatment options I could never afford. That initial visit also set me back $100 dollars. This time I will do my research before seeing one.

If I find something that is working I will continue updating this thread,. This is such a shitty condition, thank you for your support.

PS: The coconut oil seems to be pretty good so far. It's as good or better than the moisturizer i bought.

Hope

by Hope on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:07 am

hi chobo, i am glad to hear that coconut oil is workin.. ther is alwayz hope! ;)
wish for you a speedy recovery from E! bye :)

chobo

by chobo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:10 am

Has anyone had eczema where it is red and inflammed, but doesn't itch much? This seems to be the case with mine. I'm extremely happy the itch isn't there. Sometimes I look at my hands and I can see them pulsing or flashing faintly because of the inflammation.

klloyd

by klloyd on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:26 pm

if nothing works have you heard of this U(rine) T(herapy). Apply yours own and rub it in and massage with some olive oil or coconut oil before going to bed. or if you can't stand it wash it off with plain water. I have read (on some US web sites) this gives wonderful results.

55 posts