Skin Condition

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
TomSimonWood

by TomSimonWood on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Skin Condition

I developed a patch on my hand of dry irritated skin around June 2014 when working with a new type of emulsion paint at a job, I haven't seen anyone about it and i have tried many different types of products and creams to get rid of it such as Bepanthen however so far nothing has worked and the area has only gotten larger. Some days it can get worse and turn to a very bright red colour and be intensely irritating however other days it can be near normal colour and just appear as a sort of scaly patch on my hand. I wasn't too worried originally about this until of course i watched a documentary haha, however it seemed frighteningly close to basal cell carcinoma. Any incites or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:03 pm

Re: Skin Condition

Hello and thank you for your question - I certainly hope I can help you.

From what you have described it certainly sounds like could be suffering from a skin complaint called contact dermatitis. It often occurs when you come into contact with an irritant such as the new paint product you described or soaps, solvents and powders.

Usually, treatment is with two types of creams; an emollient and a corticosteroid.
The emollient cream should be used as frequently as possible. In your circumstance where you are in contact with irritants at work, I would suggest you apply the cream throughout the working day and whilst at home. Whilst your skin is very irritated, I would suggest you apply these every 2 to 3 hours. This can be reduced as the complaint improves. Your local Pharmacist will be able to recommend a suitable emollient cream.

Since your patch of skin sounds very inflammed and sore, I would also recommend a 5 day course of hydrocortisone 1% cream, available over the counter in most pharmacies. After you have applied your emollient cream, wait 30 minutes and then apply a very thin layer of this steroid cream. You only need to do this twice a day, for 5 days. This cream should quickly reduce the inflammation and should generally not be used long term, only during episodes of flare ups.

This may sound like a rigorous routine, however as I have mentioned, once the complaint is under control you can reduce the frequency of the emollient cream and stop the steroid cream.

If after 5 days your complaint has not improved, I would recommend you visit the GP.

I hope this answers your query and has put your mind at ease. If you have any further questions or concerns please do get back in touch.

Kind regards,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts