Pompholyx/ hand eczema- my relief

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

21 posts
JessicaDonnelly

by JessicaDonnelly on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:14 am

Re: Pompholyx/ hand eczema- my relief

I have dyshidrotic eczema on both of my feet, and foderma serum has been very soothing. I highly recommend it-my only problem with this serum is that it goes too quick!!!

dee_em_1980

by dee_em_1980 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi,

I too have suffered from eczema for more than 3 years, mine was on the sole of my right foot. I just want to share with you guys what finally cured my eczema. The first one is nutribiotic grapeseed extract and an a quadriderm ointment. What i did was before i go to bed, i wash my foot and apply the two products. I mix 1 tablespoon of water and three drops of grapeseed. I then use cotton balls dip in the mixture and just apply on the eczema. I then pat a towel to dry my foot. Once it is completely dry, i apply quadriderm ointment. I was really shocked because it only took like a month ang the eczema started to get dry and disappeared. i have also visited dermatologist and used a lot of products but only these cured my eczema. I hope this will also help you guys for it was God sent.

dee_em_1980

by dee_em_1980 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi,

I too have suffered from eczema for more than 3 years, mine was on the sole of my right foot. I just want to share with you guys what finally cured my eczema. The first one is nutribiotic grapeseed extract and an a quadriderm ointment. What i did was, before i go to bed i wash my foot and apply the two products. I mix 1 tablespoon of water and three drops of grapeseed. I then use cotton balls dip in the mixture and just apply on the eczema. I then pat a towel to dry my foot. Once it is completely dry, i apply quadriderm ointment. I was really shocked because it only took like a month and the eczema started to get dry and disappeared. i have also visited dermatologist and used a lot of products but only these cured my eczema. I hope this will also help you guys for it was God sent.

EliyaManson

by EliyaManson on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:56 am

I have been using Cetaphil for eczema on my hands for years but decided to try foderma serum when I saw it come out. I have been very impressed! A little bit goes a long way and one application in the morning keeps my hands from getting dry the majority of the day. It's not greasy and because you don't need much, the bottle has lasted me a long time. Overall it's a better value for your money than Cetaphil.

jordancollinson

by jordancollinson on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:57 pm

I have been suffering from Pompholyx for the past two years, although it is hardly as severe as some of the people's I have seen on the internet.

I know personally how hard it can be having to hide your hands all the time; keeping them in your pocket or making sure they don't catch anyone's line of sight in case they ask 'what is wrong with your hands?!'.

Luckily, over the past couple of weeks, I have discovered a miracle cure for this awful type of contact dermatitis!

For the benefit of anyone who is in the same situation I was in, here is what I did to alleviate the itching, the dryness and the awful redness that follows.

1. Make sure your nails are cut as short as possible; this keeps that amount of damage when itching minimal - of course I never recommend itching, but, in some circumstances, it is difficult to control what you do - such as sleeping.

2. Take 1000mg of lysine daily, you can find this in Holland and Barrett and it is relatively cheap - this seems to dry out the pods of liquid that form under the skin and honestly changes the whole feeling of the pompholyx! You will notice a difference in a couple of days so be patient and wait for results.

3. Use a moisturiser whenever you feel like your hands are even slightly dry; I find that Aveeno itch relief cream works miracles - but if you have a preferred moisturiser use that. I can safely say Aveeno works wonders on dry hands and with the pompholyx drying up the best thing you can do it make sure your skin is not disturbed and the skin does not peel off.

4. As with any other form of contact dermatitis you will know what your own subjective triggers are, and therefore, avoid these at any cost. If you have no clue what your triggers make a conscious decision to avoid anything that is strong in scent or that looks as though it would pose a threat to your skin. To make this simpler it may be easier to purchase anything that you use regularly from the brand Simple - these contain no scent and are proven to be hypoallergenic for people with sensitive skin. Their range is extensive and covers everything from moisturiser to shampoo (make sure you have a great simple handwash!).

5. I know how good it feels when you have itchy hands and you run them under the boiling hot tap to rid the itchy feeling, but, this is incredibly damaging to the skin and can set you back hours of repair that you have worked so hard to maintain! This also goes for having warm showers; don't put the water on too hot because all of the moisture from your hands will be drawn out through evaporation!

6. Try to avoid contact with water as much as possible; particularly for long submerged periods of time - such as washing pots etc. I appreciate some people may have no choice but to wash pots etc, but, if you can get someone else to do them - do it! Or alternatively, when you have finished make sure you use the moisturiser liberally!

In summary, the key here is; to make sure you take the lysine tablets routinely and keep you hands moisturised and away from water as much as possible. Also take any steps towards avoiding flare ups!

I hope this helps someone out there, I sure wish someone had made this for me when I first started suffering! Trial and error has led me here and I sincerley hope you are able to get rid of the dreadful feeling both physical and emotionally from having this condition!

Regards,

Jordan

mattwebbs

by mattwebbs on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi, this is my first ever, and probably only post. I just thought if my story could help at least one person then it was worth me telling it. About twelve years ago I went to the doctors about itchy blisters on my feet and on my right hand (left was fine). I was then diagnosed with Pompholyx and they gave me a steroid cream, which only aggravated the problem. I lost two nails and they haven’t attached to the nail bed after. With a manual job its been horrendous. My toe nails started to do the same so I went back to the doctors who sent me to a dermatologist. Again they said they could do nothing more but steroid cream. I gave up dairy as it seemed to help seven years ago. After just getting on with it I had quite a lot of pain in my right toe in January this year so went back to the doctors. This time the doctor took a sample of my toe nail to have tested. The results came back that i had a fungal infection (a form of ring worm) in my nails so they put me on Terbinafine for 6 months. After taking the drug for one and a half months my nails have started to grow back on my toes and hand. All my blisters have gone and my hand has fully repaired with no more itching. I cannot begin to tell you how good it feels, i can even use the finger print button on my iPhone for the first time (enough gloating).
But twelve years of the doctors and dermatologists telling me i had pompholyx, it was actually a fungal infection (ring worm (disgusting name)).

Good luck to all of you

Matt

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:58 am

Thanks for sharing; my daughter had eczema, and recently, fungal infection. And it is quite difficult to diagnose the rashes - eczema vs fungal vs allergy brought about by fungal... sometimes, a few years later when the same type of rash appear, another dermatologist may tell us that it's another rash and we'd think back on whether the previous rash was diagnosed properly.. glad you're doing well, take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

akshayv2

by akshayv2 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 am

I have my next Dr. appointment in a couple of weeks and with the help of my new shoes I am hoping I wont have to get shot's in both of my heels again for Plantar Fasciitis. I also haven't had to wear my boot as long in the evenings. The only thing I wish is that they had a few cuter styles in boots. I love both pairs of orthofeets that I bought.

HairyPear

by HairyPear on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello! I just wanted to share a little about my struggle with Dyshidrodic Ezcema. I've had it for 6 years now and I was able to successfully get rid of it for 2 years with acupuncture and keeping my hands out of hot water. Acupuncture changed everything! I went to OHSU to see if I could get help from a dermatologist but all he did was write me a prescription for Clobetasol which did absolutely nothing, if not made it worse. I was fed up so decided to try acupuncture. The first person I went to wasn't able to help me but I shopped around for another one and he was able to get rid of it after about 5-6 months of work! It recently came back because I'm under a lot of stress and I was taking a ceramics class. I think the chemicals or wetness has something to do with it.
-Keep your hands/feet out of hot water
-Use neosporin when areas get infected
-Go to an acupuncturist

Good luck!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:34 am

Hi HairyPear

Thank you for your helpful reply. We are glad you have found something that helps keep your condition under control for you.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

21 posts