toctino

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
abigail

by abigail on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:51 pm

toctino

hi
is my 15 year old daughter able to have toctino as she suffers badly from eczema on her hands
many thanks

PROMETHEUS

by PROMETHEUS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Re: toctino

Toctino is the trade name for Alitretinoin, a compound called 9-cis retinoic acid, which is similar to all-trans retinoic acid, both related to the carotenoids.
Toctino is available on prescription in the U.K. in pill form. (10 mg capsules).
I got my doctor to prescribe this to me, and I made up a tincture from it, using 1/4 capsule or 2.5 mg dissolved in 10cc baby oil and 15 cc water, for a 0.1% solution w/w.
I used the toctino tincture by rubbing it into my hand once a day for a week, and covering it with an application of SUPADERMA cream. After a week, the toctino had done its job, and the dermatitis had begun to recede.
Since then, I have used the Supaderma cream daily at night, and my dermatitis has completely disappeared. The cream is still needed, as the skin tends to flare up and small blisters begin to reappear occasionally if I stop applying the cream.
I would rather keep applying the cream and have a normal hand than stop using it and getting flare ups, so I figure it's a good trade-off.

2 posts