Natural remedies to cure dyshidrotic ezcema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
going natural

by going natural on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Natural remedies to cure dyshidrotic ezcema

I've had dyshidrotic eczema on my right hand for probably 16 years now and have usually managed it with steroid creams prescribed by my dermatologist. However, over the last year I have read up extensively on how diet affects us and how gut flora imbalances can contribute to eczema and other skin conditions like psoriasis. Steroid creams also have a number of side effects and have thinned and dried out my skin over the years so I have decided to combat my eczema the natural way. I have started "eating clean" two weeks ago meaning that I avoid sugar, alcohol, processed foods, wheat and gluten as far as possible - I eat lots of organic veggies and fruits, seeds and nuts, Greek yoghurt, eggs and will eat fish, chicken or meat on occasion. I have a cheat meal every now and again but I would say I eat clean 80% of the time. Two weeks ago I also stopped using the steroid cream and as expected, my eczema has flared up significantly. I suppose I'm still in the detox phase due to years of bad eating habits so I'm trying to ride it out and manage the symptoms with natural remedies - diluted apple cider vinegar applied twice a day (I also drink it for the health benefits) as well as organic coconut oil which I apply liberally a few times a day. While the natural remedies provide some relief my eczema seems to be getting worse and my hand is driving my CRAZY so I hope I will start to see the benefits soon. Is there anyone else out there who managed to clear up their dyshidrotic eczema in an "all natural" way - meaning no steroid creams or cortisol etc. but only natural remedies and clean eating? How long did it take more / less for the eczema to get better? Is it normal to go through a "detox" phase where the eczema initially worsens but then gets better over time? Thanks!

tanyagee

by tanyagee on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Natural remedies to cure dyshidrotic ezcema

Hi there...
It's great to see you take a natural approach. I don't think enough people do that these days, and jump directly to medical attention, and you're right, the steroid cream is dangerous - and even more so, over time! I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this. I have dyshidrotic eczema as well. I use to be able to get it under control (it would appear on one finger, a few bumps) but I'd put on some good cream, natural stuff and it would go away. But this Spring, I had a flare like no other, causing me to be off work for several months. I couldn't do anything for myself. I too started to eat clean, organic, gluten free etc - however, while I thought I was doing good, turns out - I wasn't. I recently found out I have a nickel allergy, and guess what? Nickel is in a TON of healthy food (some unhealthy as well), but I was shocked. And so, I wanted to share this with you in case you are doing more harm than good. You would think that eating clean, would help. And maybe in your case, over time - it will. But you should see about getting patch tested, if you haven't already :) best of luck! I know it's difficult!

2 posts