Testicle pain - prostate link?

If you have questions about prostate disease please post them here for our experts to answer from 15 November 2012.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
RobJ

by RobJ on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 am

Testicle pain - prostate link?

Hi
I've been suffering with an aching pain in my right testicle for around 4 weeks now and wondered if there could be a link to prostatitis or other prostate condition. I've found no lump on my testicles and have no other symptoms apart from some abdominal discomfort from time to time and occasional twinges in my chest, though I put the latter two down to stress. I saw my GP 2 weeks ago and was prescribed a two week course of Trimethoprim on the basis that the pain was probably caused by Epididymitis. I'm nearly at the end of my course now and the pain has not changed. It is usually absent when I wake up but begins around half an hour after and remains broadly the same during the day, though I've had some days which have been pain free. I had similar pain earlier in the year and received a one week course at the time, which took away the pain. I'm obviously concerned now that the antibiotics have not had the same effect this time.

I'm booked in for an ultrasound in mid December (the earliest it could be arranged - not good). I'm 41 and otherwise in good health, though have had a stressful couple of months due to family problems.
Thank you
Rob

Mr Omer Karim

by Mr Omer Karim on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Re: Testicle pain - prostate link?

That is a very interesting question. As urologist we often see men with intermittent testicular pain. This can often be associated with a degree of bladder outflow obstruction (either from and enlarged prostate or in the younger man from an obstructing bladder neck). This results in the bladder using much higher pressure to empty and the pressure is transmitted along the ejaculatory ducts and men can experience testicular pain or ache as a result. We often give men a trial of an alpha blocker - tamsulosin or alfuzosin emperically. If it improves the ache, it is more or less diagnostic. You might want to suggest that to your GP or get referred to a urologist?
Mr Omer Karim
Consultant Urologist

2 posts