Newly diagnosed

If you have questions about heart disease please post them here ready for our experts to answer from 5 Dec 2012.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
TracyG

by TracyG on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:52 am

Newly diagnosed

Hello,

My father (70yrs old in Jan) has had a four month history of chest pain, palpitations and dizzyness. He has had four trips to a&e in that time with the chest pain. Each time he was told it was anxiety or a virus and to go home and rest at no time was an ECG performed or suggested. His last admission resulted in him being admitted to CCU as his ECG was abnormal, his chest pain unbearable and his heart rate was too fast (120bpm). An angiogram was performed and it was discovered that he has 3 blocked arteries (best 74% blocked, worst 90% blocked). He has a history of DVT in his legs and lung, diabetes, high bp and high cholesterol. Unfortunately the day after the angiogram he suffered a small bleed to the brain which has left him with expressive aphasia and some left sided weakness.
So I guess I have two questions:
1) How was this condition missed for four a&e admissions if his heart condition is so severe?
2) What are the likely options for him in terms of heart surgery (angioplasty or CABG) as a result of the stroke?

He's still on CCU now...

Nurse Doireann Maddock

by Nurse Doireann Maddock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: Newly diagnosed

Hi Tracy,

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's health problems, it must be a very difficult time for you all. It's not possible for me comment on your questions as they require a degree of knowledge that is not possible from the online forum. But I will say that these questions are matters that you definitely need to discuss with his medical team in CCU. I hope they will be able to answer all your questions.

Best wishes,
Doireann Maddock
Nurse Doireann Maddock
Cardiac Nurse for British Heart Foundation

2 posts