Palpitations

If you have questions about heart disease please post them here ready for our experts to answer from 5 Dec 2012.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Vico

by Vico on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Palpitations

Hi I am a 45 year old male, generally healthy, only meds being Cymbalta (duloxetine) an SNRI. For the past couple of weeks I have been getting very pronounced patpitations on & off very regularly - lasting maybe 10 seconds or so then relenting - but with great frequency during the day. When the palpitations happen they are very intense and disturbing - like getting a blow, really. Apart from the above medication, which I have been taking for approx 1 month, I can identify no other changes in my routine or lifestyle. I am not diabetic and have no other underlying conditions. Can you help?

ferguson1918

by ferguson1918 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:08 am

Re: Palpitations

HI Vico

I am no medical expert but if you are having regular palpitations then I would strongly advise you to go and see your GP.

Nurse Maureen Talbot

by Nurse Maureen Talbot on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 am

Hi Vico,

My suggestion would be to either see or arrange a telephone consultation with your GP to discuss these symptoms. Your GP would want to know so that he/she can assess you and carry out any relevant tests that may help with diagnosing the cause of the symptoms. As the symptoms started a couple of weeks after commencing a new medication your GP will be keen to rule out that you are not experiencing a side effect from it.

All the best and hope your symptoms are successfully treated.

Maureen
Nurse Maureen Talbot
Nurse for British Heart Foundation

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi Vico

I agree with Maureen's recommendations. It's important you see your GP who can formally assess you.
It's possible this might be a side effect of the drug or conceivably something else.

Best of luck.

Dr M Haq
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

4 posts