Heart Failure

If you have questions about heart disease please post them here ready for our experts to answer from 5 Dec 2012.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
harpercat

by harpercat on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Heart Failure

My GP has recently referred me for an ECG, which was OK although it showed how much pain I was in as a result of other conditions, and an ambulatory blood pressure test, which revealed a very high BP despite my medication, and blood tests. The blood tests suggested probable heart failure and I am to have an ech0-cardiogram this week to see what is going on.

There is a history of heart failure on both sides of my family. My mother died of a heart attack at the age of 84 and her sister at 76. Their mother had angina, as did they. My father has had two heart attacks but is relatively fit for an 88 year old. His brother had a fatal heart attack at the age of 84. I lost my late husband to a sudden massive heart attack and this has obviously greatly added to my awareness and sensitivity.

I am very concerned as to what to expect in the way of a future and possible treatment. My blood pressure was 178/133 this morning, despite having taken Ramapril for over two weeks now in addition to the Doxazosin I was taking before. I am on several other medications for various conditions too, mostly chronic pain-related, such as Gabapentin, Tramadol, Paracetamol, Diclofenac, Paracetamol and Tizanidine.

I was supposed to have had a further blood test last week but after four attempts the nurse was unable to extract any blood!

Nurse Amy Thompson

by Nurse Amy Thompson on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Heart Failure

Hi

I understand the possibility of having heart failure is very frightening, especially when you have known other family members with the condition. Before a diagnosis of heart failure can be made you will need to have had an echocardiogram and various other tests your doctor may have requested. Even if you do have heart failure, it is very difficult to predict how you will be affected and what the future may hold. For some people with heart failure, if there is an obvious cause which can be treated then the symptoms of heart failure can be reduced, or disappear altogether. (Your doctor will look at the possible causes if a diagnosis is made.)

There are also different 'classes' of heart failure, depending upon how well the heart is working properly and what symptoms you may have. It may be that your symptoms can be nicely controlled with medicines, and remain stable for many years. For more information visit the BHF website at bhf.org.uk where you will find our booklet Living with heart failure (search in the publications section).

In the meantime it is important that you continue to follow the advice of your doctor, in a bid to reduce your blood pressure, and continue to take the ramipril. I wouldn't be surprised if your medicines need tweaking slightly, but your doctor will need to consider a number of factors, including how well your kidneys are working - so you may need to have that blood test first.

I hope this was of some use.

All the best
Amy

2 posts