Heart issues & breathlessness on waking at night

If you have questions about heart disease please post them here ready for our experts to answer from 5 Dec 2012.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Ocean2012

by Ocean2012 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Heart issues & breathlessness on waking at night

Heart issues & breathlessness on waking at night...
For the past 4 weeks I have been experiencing breathing problems, mainly, when I lie down and as a result my sleep is interrupted due to the breathing problems. My GP took my blood pressure as it was 194/101 on my right arm but this was the highest reading. Later on the same day it reduced to 162/93. I had an ECG done and there were some abnomalities in the reading so I was referred to the A&E dept. They advised me to go on Blood Pressure medication immediately. I am a lady in my late 60s. Please could you advise me what the problem could be and why I am getting these breathing problems?

Nurse Doireann Maddock

by Nurse Doireann Maddock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Heart issues & breathlessness on waking at night

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling unwell. Your blood pressure does indeed seem to have been high so it's good that this problem is being addressed but it's important that you check in with your GP or practice nurse to make sure that the medication is having the appropriate effect.

Regarding the potential cause of your breathlessness, it's impossible to make a formal diagnosis in an online forum so you will need to visit your GP to discuss this and so that they can arrange any further testing that could be required to investigate the problem.

Best wishes,
Doireann Maddock
Nurse Doireann Maddock
Cardiac Nurse for British Heart Foundation

2 posts