Seborrheic Dermatitis

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

32 posts
Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 am

Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis

Great to see people who found ways to manage their eczema :)

As a mom of an eczema toddler, I consider treatments carefully and always check if there are sufficient clinical studies on them. While a ingredient may be associated with improved skin, its usefulness on a child may depending on various factors:
1. How much of the ingredient has been studied to be useful, and is that amount safe for a child?
2. In what form is the ingredient useful? It is studied to be effective if applied on skin or if consumed. And is both of these safe for a child?
3. What are the other ingredients that go into a product? A natural product may not be so pure after processing into a bottle

Also on diets, whether a certain diet works will depend on whether the foods eliminated are the ones triggering an allergic reaction in the individual in the first place, and whether the foods remaining gives the child sufficient nutrition for healthy growth. There's a study that linked fast food with worsened eczema but just eating fruits and vegetables may miss out other nutrition for a growing child. There's another study on hardened water, and surprisingly, found no relation with effects on eczema.

Skin prick test is an accurate allergy test, and in Singapore, it can only be done in hospitals and certain clinics. Parents can find out where you can get this test, and then for the test to be evaluated by a doctor with a specialization in kids, allergy, dermatology or immunology. If a doctor cannot offer you the skin prick test, maybe, you ought to consider another doctor so that an accurate test can be taken and interpreted at the same clinic.

Take care everyone!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

ariannahuffington

by ariannahuffington on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:04 pm

I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I have to use topical steroids every day. With Foderma serum I've completely eliminated my use of steroids.I was so distraught that my face kept getting worse and I decided to take a chance on foderma and I can say that I'll never look back. I recommended it to my sister who has psoriasis and she absolutely loves it. It's amazing!!

Konfomty

by Konfomty on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi there,
Ok, dear god, either nature or whoever: I got it - humans can't cure Seborrheic Dermatitis...
However, you know, it started when I was ~16. Then it was on my head only. Doctors used to prescribe Sulfuric ointment, Nizoral, Betamethasone+Salicylic acid (damn Glucocorticoid which I applied for at least ~10 years). Now I use Protopic (Tacrolimus) and Clear/H&S shampoo. Now I am 36, and since then this decease step-by-step has captured my face, neck and my chest... Such a frightening regression - lower and lower...
It's been cry from the heart :) Now let me ask you, dear users (not god ;) ), my questions.

1. Is there any food / medicine / diet that is really able to bring relief for months or weeks not to use those salves every 1-5 days?
2. How often do use those salves? I mean, what is your best approach: using medicines every day or as rarely as possible?

EmmaGDWN

by EmmaGDWN on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm

My doctor advised me to use an antifungal cream like daktarin and a bit of steroid cream for the dry seborrhea dermatitis on my face which cleared up the dryness straight away but I think the steroid cream has left my skin a bit thin on my cheeks because now they are red and I can see spider veins coming through. I've had a lot more success using Aquaphor ointment, it seems to work straight away to moisturise and makes a barrier against the wind so the redness has gone down a bit. Also I notice my skin is better whenever I eat avocados! I know that sounds a bit silly but I really notice the difference especially on my hands so I don't know whether diet helps too.

Konfomty

by Konfomty on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 pm

EmmaGDWN wrote:My doctor advised me to use an antifungal cream like daktarin and a bit of steroid cream for the dry seborrhea dermatitis on my face which cleared up the dryness straight away but I think the steroid cream has left my skin a bit thin on my cheeks because now they are red and I can see spider veins coming through. I've had a lot more success using Aquaphor ointment, it seems to work straight away to moisturise and makes a barrier against the wind so the redness has gone down a bit. Also I notice my skin is better whenever I eat avocados! I know that sounds a bit silly but I really notice the difference especially on my hands so I don't know whether diet helps too.
'Daktarin' - got it, thank you.
One of my doctors literally said that I was an idiot, cuz I used my steroid lotion for 10+ years. However, my seborrhea is oily and it didn't affect skin so much.
Avocado... Hmm, need to go back to Chile to have a lot of them :) Although they have a laxative effect. Maybe this is the reason?

Konfomty

by Konfomty on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Now I am going to try a few alternative methods/substances: turmeric powder and CBD oil to reduce the symptoms. The first was bought in a supermarket, the 2nd was ordered from https://www.botahemp.com/. I started with turmeric ~2 months ago and can't say that I see any stable changes, though I still take it. Now I'll try to use the hemp oil for scalp and face dermatitis. They say cannabis has immunosuppressive properties and might reduce the symptoms. I'll take it both orally or apply it to the affected skin. I'm wondering if anyone else used this approach? Reviews please?

philkfoto

by philkfoto on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Two years ago this seborrheic dermatitis started on my forehead and spread to my nose and eye brows. Itchy scaly areas which after washing become red. I tried all sorts of recommended shampoos with active ingredients but to no avail. As I am a firm believer in tea tree oil, I bought some UK hand made soap free from Parabens and SLS with added tea tree oil. There was a slight improvement but still a lot of flaking. However the best was yet to come and quite by accident. A friend who had suffered from dry skin said I ought to try his preparation because it might work for me. Well it is not cheap but I thought it was worth a trial. Well the first application about 4 weeks ago was quite remarkable and since then it has all disappeared. I use this just twice a week and only a minuscule amount is needed. I have purposely not mentioned the make of the soap or the cream because of possible advertising restrictions from moderators.

brober886

by brober886 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:11 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 32 year old quadriplegic & have had Eczema on & off for about a year now. In the past I've never had any skin problems but my mum had Crohn's Disease & I think therefore I have a genetic pre disposition for Auto Immune problems.

My doctor initially prescribed a topical steroid called Zatamil & this worked (& still does) when I apply 1 or 2 drops around my mustache before bed every three weeks or so in very small quantities .

However, about a week ago I bought some Jojoba oil & applied it quite liberally on my entire face & suffered a different type of break out. A quick search on the internet & It looked more like Seb Derm as it was less flaky and affected the nostrils more.

In order to treat the Malassezia I cooled my showers down, bought some Skleer soap off eBay & have been applying good old Bannana Boat after sun gel while my skin is still damp & this has made a big difference to my face. Not saying this is a cure but it has helped heaps with the burning.

jldo2018

by jldo2018 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:45 am

This might sound crazy- especially because I've done a lot of research and never came across this as something that can help, but what helped my seborrheic dermatitis : peroxide. I used peroxide as a toner, a little on a cotton ball and dabbed it on my face after cleansing and before a light moisturizer. It may dry out your skin, sting, and itch. But I believe it's killing off the yeast. Pwroxide is known to remove dead skin cells as well as prevent infection- so why wouldn't we try it to remove the yeast infection and kill the dead skin cells it lives on ? Try it! You might only need to use it for a day or two.

danieluk

by danieluk on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi all,

Been suffering for years now with SD, steroid creams calm it down, but only for a few days, and I hate to use it every day as apparently it's not great for the skin >.<

On Nizoral for my scalp, which clears it up for a few days, and currently on Eumovate cream for my face, having tried Ketaconzole and Daktacort.

I use to work abroad and being in the Sunshine helped with my face so much, albeit im now back in the UK and my face has gotten worse again.

I've just received some ProSkin SebDerm in the post and will update my results. Fingers crossed!!

32 posts