flare beginning

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
gnorris51

by gnorris51 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 pm

flare beginning

I'm relatively new to Eczema and had it all over my hands last month which have now cleared up. This morning I noticed it beginning to come on my fingers. Is there anything I can do immediately to lessen the flare up. Thank you for your help

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20 am

Re: flare beginning

Hi!
I would think to figure out what's irritating the hand/fingers, and eliminate those. Moisturizing a layer helps to reduce the contact with the irritants. I'm interviewing a dermatologist on my blog regarding hand eczema these 3 weeks, extract which may be relevant to you below, take care!

MarcieMom: Dr Lynn, regardless of whether it is irritant contact dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis, are the triggers similar? If yes, will avoiding these triggers be actions a hand eczema sufferer should take?

What are the factors that affect what form of dermatitis one get?

Dr Lynn: Yes, there are certain common triggers that will adversely affect the hands. Over-washing (even with just plain water), harsh soap, detergents and lubricants should generally be avoided by people with hand eczema. Wearing of gloves to reduce the contact of water and soaps with the skin is recommended if prolonged wet work is necessary.

Regular use of moisturizer can help prevent flares in people with hand eczema. Gentle soap in small amounts is recommended.

Keeping fingernails short prevent further damage of the skin while scratching. It is advisable to remove rings and bangles before hand-washing and wet work as they can trap moisturizer, dirt and bacteria.
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts