The Itch Scratch Cycle

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

62 posts
nicolarobinson3

by nicolarobinson3 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:11 am

Doesn't scratching feel too good to give up?

I'm new to this site, and wondering whether there's anyone out there who actually likes their eczema. I've had mild to moderate eczema all my life, on my hands, wrists, elbows and backs of legs, and since I'm now in my mid 30s I kind of accept it as part of who I am.

I also derive some satisfaction from scratching it; no wonder, what with all the nice endorphins being released. Of course my eczema annoys me a bit when it's particularly bad, but other people's attitudes to it tend to annoy me much more: that I must be in terrible discomfort (I'm not, usually), or that I'm not looking after myself properly (I am, usually); that it looks ugly (if it doesn't bother me why make a point of it), or that scratching is disgusting (it can be done quite surreptitiously I find (-:). I just get on with life, try to keep my eczema reasonably under control, and don't really let it bother me.

However, I stopped smoking a couple of years ago, from one day to the next, and was impressed by my own willpower (!), and this has inspired me to contemplate stopping scratching (I just ordered a copy of The Eczema Solution). But do I really want to...? After all my eczema is not actually killing me and I've a feeling I might miss it if it wasn't there.

Interested in hearing from others who love their eczema or at least happily accept it. Alternatively anyone who can persuade me it's worth changing my attitude and trying to break the itch scratch cycle. Thanks!

Nicola.

PS I also recently developed oral allergy syndrome. Eating apples has got a whole lot more exciting (-:

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Doesn't scratching feel too good to give up?

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude. We find Eczema depressing! When I first read your posting I thought you must be mad. Now I realise you have found a positive place to be within yourself. Way to go!! :)
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

JulieR

by JulieR on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:44 am

Personally, I'm very thankful my daughter isn't itching anymore and waking up 7 - 11 times a night crying and scratching. I'm also thankful she can take a bath and enjoy it rather than need it to help peel her bloody socks off her peeling, bloody feet.

I do have a question though, once you quit smoking was there a change in your eczema? Was it better, worse or about the same?

Just curious! I am glad you have found a way to deal with it though although personally, I'd pick the alternative and stop the occurence of eczema. My daughter, at least is way happier and is having a great time enjoying life without the intolerable itchies. :)

koko

by koko on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:29 pm

does scratching release endorphins?
yeah sometimes, i feel like it has helped me to become someone stronger or someone who is more cosiderate of other peoples feeling, those in an array of situations. sometimes i think if i get rid of eczema, i won't have anyting to hide behind, so i think im scared ..?maybe who knows

but i still pray for the day, that i wake up knowing i don't have to make an effort to hide my scabby red arms or wear a scarf because of a sore stinging neck.

i think im glad i have it, but i thnk im ready to say goodbye.haha.

randomhiccup

by randomhiccup on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 am

Yes sctratching feels great, but I find the guilt and shame of looking at what I've done to myself afterwards more of a problem than the nice feeling of scratching. I keep trying to break the itch scratch cycle, its difficult but I keep trying. I can't say I enjoy my eczema one bit and I wish I never had it, its ahrd to not let it bother you when you're bright red and shedding skin everywhere, so embarrassing. But if you can feel its ok by you then I think thats great, thats all that matters. I guess its up to you if you feel you want to avoid any of the problems it gives you. And if you're not uncomfortable with it then maybe you don't need to. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

beardman86

by beardman86 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:58 am

randomhiccup wrote:Yes sctratching feels great, but I find the guilt and shame of looking at what I've done to myself afterwards more of a problem than the nice feeling of scratching.

My feelings exactly...

springercrazy

by springercrazy on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 am

Cant stop the itching

Hi all
I am a new memeber on here, been having re-occurong infections mainly on legs and bum for the last 6 months or so. Have tried so much and took so many medicines, antibiotics, new creams, old creams. I am just so frustrated with it all now.
I just cant seem to stop it itching and if i scratch i dont just itch it i gouge at it. especially at night i wake my hubby up often. Ive tried sleeping with socks on my hands and banages etc but i take them off when im asleep. Just cant seemto break to cycle and im getting so down with it all.
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas at all, im 29 years old had it since i was a baby now.
Any sugestions would be so helpful

D
Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Re: Cant stop the itching

Hi

Only a little tip, we use medical tape, just round the wrist of gloves to keep them on my children. Not touching any skin but just a snug band on the narrowest area without being tight so they cannot pull the gloves off.

Hope others can help you more
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

springercrazy

by springercrazy on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:47 am

thank you for that will give it a go.
am on antibiotics for a month nowand gotblood tests in a couple of weeks to see if theres another medical reason for the flare ups.
its just so painful but it still itches, arrrrggghhh!!!
thanks again
D xx
Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.

clairewales

by clairewales on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Hiya - I, like you, have had eczema since birth and am now 29. I went to a dermatologist in London -dr. aron (see his website) - and was prescribed Citalopram - an antidepressant which softens the link between the psyche and the skin. I have not looked back since - 20mg a day, no itching and no major flare ups since, I cannot believe the difference - do give it a go - I know there is a reluctance to use antidepressants and I thought long and hard about it but in the end it was so bad I was willing to try anything - also use Diprobase everywhere at least 4 times a day.

Hope this helps

Claire x

62 posts