Self (stupid) Treatment?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
Ramdebrand

by Ramdebrand on Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:35 am

Self (stupid) Treatment?

Just a quick quick question about how anyone else gets rid of the urge to itch and scratch your skin away... am I the only one who, when taking a shower, will hold the shower head above a problem spot and crank the hot water, and kill the cold, until completely numb and pretty much a cherry red? Is there any major, serious health factors/risks one might think j should he aware of? Thanks a bunch, hope to hear back.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:52 am

Re: Self (stupid) Treatment?

Hi there,

Hot water does temporarily numb the skin but is totally bad for it as it strips moisture. It's a no-no. Instead use lukewarm water (my child bathe in cold water!) and moisturize within 3 minutes after shower. To reduce the itch, have to first treat the eczema and can also try moisturizing with lotion/cream that has been chilled or putting a cool compress over the skin patch. Definitely, not hot compress or hot water.

Take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Ramdebrand

by Ramdebrand on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Re: Self (stupid) Treatment?

Alright thanks for the quick reply! I've had it since I was born (18 now) and have tried pretty much everything available in town and most of the province here, nothing works except burning the cripe out of the spots inside my elbow and moisturizing like crazy after. Still looking for a less sadistic treatment everyday lol thanks again

3 posts