SOFT WATER helps Eczema?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
KaylaShere

by KaylaShere on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:07 pm

SOFT WATER helps Eczema?

Hi,
I've read several articles on how hard water affects the skin.They say it clogs the pores with soap residue and that worsens skin conditions like eczema and acne :(
That makes sense to me, because everytime I step out of the shower I feel like my skin will crack with every move I make, just so dry and itchy...

So that's why I'm thinking of getting a water softener..

Does anyone have one? Can you tell me anything from your experience?
Thanks!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 am

Re: SOFT WATER helps Eczema?

Hi! Think that the trial (SWET trial) showed no difference, but quite a lot of users have positive feedback
http://www.skinsmatter.com/eczema_and_s ... 01-13.html

Hope above helps, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:24 am

Thanks for the share! I'm not sure about the cost.. perhaps some potential users wanted to read more before committing to the expense? And thank you very much for sharing your positive experience!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

PeterMGD

by PeterMGD on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

Hi there! I've had problems with eczema since i know myself and tried almost evertything. Eczema is an allergic reaction to something and you need to find what that trigger is. It starts from a combination of environmental factors and genetics, but first i think that you have find out what are your everyday products and even natural substances that can cause your skin to burn and itch, or become dry and red. Water is the most important thing for our body so i was surprised when i tested(4 years ago) my shower water i found out that it was infected with coliform bacteria and had a high level nitrate. Since then i changed 2 water softners and things are going in the right way. From time to time i get that red and itchy skin but it much much better than before. So it means that there is still one trigger that i didn t found. Good luck to you all!

KaylaShere

by KaylaShere on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Thank you all, this was very helpful!

jenmumford27 can you please give me a link for the water softener company you used? I want to see how much it would cost.
I understand you were happy with them?

Thanks!

KaylaShere

by KaylaShere on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 am

Thank you Jen!
I rang them and scheduled the installation for this Thursday. You were right, they were very accommodating and had that awesome offer so I paid nearly 50% less :D
I'm quite excited I have to say!
I'll keep this thread updated and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the advice!

carlb2017

by carlb2017 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:05 am

You can get shower head attachments that soften the water as you shower. There sold on eBay and amazon.

jamjamie

by jamjamie on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 am

KaylaShere wrote:Hi,
I've read several articles on how hard water affects the skin.They say it clogs the pores with soap residue and that worsens skin conditions like eczema and acne :(
That makes sense to me, because everytime I step out of the shower I feel like my skin will crack with every move I make, just so dry and itchy...

So that's why I'm thinking of getting a water softener shower for eczema.

Thanks!
Yes, installing a water softener or just a shower filter can help eliminate eczema. Before again, I tried a lot of products that claimed to help me with dry skin and dry hair. Until I found out that my city water was the culprit. After replacing the shower head, everything was resolved.

teriastiles

by teriastiles on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:03 am

According to some studies, hard water can damage your skin, causing skin conditions such as eczema to develop. However, soft water isn't treating eczema, but it was found to be much healthier for the skin though. That is why we had a water softener installed in our house. Water softeners extract unnecessary minerals from the water in your home, making it more suitable for bathing and other household activities, including washing.

jordanan

by jordanan on Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:16 am

KaylaShere wrote:Hi,

So that's why I'm thinking of getting a water softener..

Thanks!
This is the case, hard water can cause eczema. A shower head with water softening function can improve this bad situation. They contain adsorbent stones and other filtering substances, which can not only filter minerals in hard water, but also add to help keep the skin smooth. :D

10 posts