New to Eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
Lilacnatasha

by Lilacnatasha on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm

New to Eczema

Hi, in my late 40s, I've been told I have eczema for the first time in my life. I was told that it's probably the different shampoos and bubble baths I've used over the years. I was packed off with some hydrocortisone, an emollient and told to quit adding products to my bath. That was in September last year. What an emotional journey it's been so far. It's probably only mild eczema, or moderate at worse but it's been the not knowing how to deal with eczema that's been the worst part of it. There's so much conflicting advice out there. Friends and work colleagues have been really helpful but I've found that what works for 1, doesn't always work for another. No matter how many products I've swapped for kinder, gentler SLS free versions, or what changes I've made to my diet, only the hydrocortisone is managing the flare ups. I've lost count of the number of times I've thought I'd found the magic key. Or the times I've cried out of sheer frustration. I've just started using Calendula cream and my red itchy, sore patches of eczema seem to be coming less red, itchy and sore. Fingers crossed.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 am

Re: New to Eczema

Hope things will turn out well and you can perhaps consider doing a patch test to see which ingredients you're sensitive too.. it may be that nothing seems to be working well if your skin is still in contact with what's triggering the rash.. contact eczema develop overtime and bubble bath (though nice!) is not recommended for those with sensitive skin, take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Lilacnatasha

by Lilacnatasha on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks for your response Marcie. Ideally I do want to have a patch test done and I've been keeping a journal that includes everything I've eaten, products I've used, general health, everything I can think of so that I can show my GP what steps I've taken to establish the cause/s. I'm hoping he'll agree.

Katelyn777

by Katelyn777 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:03 am

I have never had eczema than their was a random flare up last year (i am 18 but have never had eczema before)... I took so long to get rid of it and their is still a small trace. It was on my underarms all the way up to my elbow. Know there is only a small patch.

I learned that low thyroid can influence many skin problems,
other things I think helped:
increases Co2
Epsom salt baths

Lilacnatasha

by Lilacnatasha on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi Katelyn, thanks for replying. It was interesting to hear about how under active (low) thyroid can have such an effect on different conditions. It's something I hadn't considered. My mum had an under active thyroid gland. I'm not sure if that's hereditary but worth thinking about. Thank you

5 posts