Is this eczema? (pics)

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
mateeahpie

by mateeahpie on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:44 am

Is this eczema? (pics)

WP_20151011_17_08_12_Pro_opt.jpg
WP_20151011_17_08_12_Pro_opt.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
WP_20151011_17_04_25_Pro_opt.jpg
WP_20151011_17_04_25_Pro_opt.jpg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
WP_20151011_17_05_31_Pro_opt.jpg
WP_20151011_17_05_31_Pro_opt.jpg (74.3 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
I'm 19 years old and just a few months ago started to get this weird rash. It first appeared when I was working out and I had no idea what it was, it's a very scaly rash, it's so weird it's like grayscale from Game of Thrones! It is super itchy, and usually comes when I sweat a lot. I have to do my best not to itch it, and after about 15 minutes it stops itching badly and after about 45 minutes it finally goes away. This is so weird and new to me, is it eczema?

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Re: Is this eczema? (pics)

Hello,

thank you for your post and for including the photographs, they are very helpful.

From the pictures and scenario surrounding the rash which you have described, my suspicion is that you are suffering from prickly heat.

Prickly heat (or milliaria rubra) is an itchy rash of small raised spots, which can sometimes look like blisters and can cause swelling, itching and stinging.
This rash usually develops when a person sweats more than usual due to the body's sweat glands becoming blocked. Since you describe your symptoms appearing after a work-out, I would suggest this is the most likely cause. This excessive sweating can result in sweat getting trapped beneath the skin causing the irritation and rash.

There are several ways in which you can minimise / ease these symptoms:

1) drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration when sweating
2) wear loose-fitting cotton clothing - cotton is a natural fibre which doesn't trap heat so much
3) keep your skin cool - use a cool bath or shower after your workouts to soothe your skin and prevent further sweating
4) apply aqueous calamine cream to help soothe sore or irritated skin
5) antihistamine tablets may help to control itching - these may not be suitable if you are on other medication so please check with your pharmacist if/when purchasing.

I hope that these options ease your symptoms, however if the rash continues please see your GP to discuss further.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts