New to eczema, my face is killing me

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
ginnaleebecker

by ginnaleebecker on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:27 pm

New to eczema, my face is killing me

Hello! I have been suffering from eczema on my face for over a year now, since the birth of my youngest son and since they started me on oral contraceptives. (Lo lo fe). The past couple of weeks however it's been very bad, flaring up on my body, chin and eyes so much so I needed a trip to the ER. The pain and itchiness is unbearable. They said I have acute contact dermatitis and that I'm allergic to something. They gave me a course of oral steroids for 5 days. Cleared it right up. About 2 days after the steroids were done my eyes swelled up again, are itchy and burning on the eyelid and underneath spreading onto my cheeks. I also have spots of itchiness and burning under my nose and chin. I also have spots on my arms and on my chest, especially my nipples, my son is still nursing too which makes things more complicated. Any suggestions on what it could be that's causing this? Birth control? Hormones? Mold? I haven't worn makeup in months, I feel like I look like a monster, it's so difficult to talk to people when your face is swollen and red. I am using kiss my face all natural soap to was my face and eu rein calming cream with aquaphor on top. Even time I use the eucerin or any lotion for that matter it burns the living day.ights out of me. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. I've made an appointment with the dermatologist but they're super busy and can't get me in right away. Please help! Suggestions of what could cause it and advice on how to soothe it would be so very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 am

Re: New to eczema, my face is killing me

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I'm not familiar with acute sudden flare-up but it sounds more like an allergy than the 'typical' eczema or even contact eczema, I would think it's serious if your eyelids are swollen, is it possible to visit the ER at another hospital if you cannot get a dermatologist's appointment in time?
Hugs,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

ItchyGal

by ItchyGal on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:37 am

Hey! Just wondering if this dermatitis is new? Have you ever had it before and have you been using steroids (topical) previously?

I was just thinking that if your eczema is worsening after using steroids it sounds like it might be steroid addiction/steroid induced eczema. It's not pretty and it happens after certain people stop using steroids.

Apparently it can happen after using steroids for only a short period of time too, so that's something to consider. Maybe have a read into it and see if it sounds like what you are going through.

Hopefully your skin works itself out soon anyway. Best of luck!
Last edited by admin on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL promotion not permitted - removed

ClaireDivas

by ClaireDivas on Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am

I've been using Foderma serum for eczema on my face and it's working pretty well. At first it did cause my face to break out a little, probably because it is a pretty thick. serum. But I gave it another and week and low and behold my dry itchy skin has all but gone away. I've been using it for about a month now, using it as a moisturizer daily on my face. I can apply makeup over it with no issues. It doesn't have any sent and I don't have any issue with it absorbing into my skin, not left over stickiness. If you struggle with eczema or other dry skin issues, give foderma serum a try, it really is worth it.

4 posts