help - advice needed!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

7 posts
bethanymahoney

by bethanymahoney on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 pm

help - advice needed!

Hi guys,
I have a problem in need of advice. I have atopic eczema and have had so since birth , every few weeks it flares up and becomes very irritant , i am constantly visiting the doctors to receive treatment. There are no obvious triggers and have had patch testing and bloods which have given no answers. On strong antihistamines , have lots of ointments and creams for daily use and steroid creams - nothing seems to work.

Recently started an apprenticeship in a kitchen and my flare ups seem to be more frequent and worse than usual , they are concerned that my health is being affected while working in the kitchen and have asked me to think about whether i wish to continue doing the job.

Need advice or tips on what i can use , similar experience and anything that may help my case.

many thanks

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:04 am

Re: help - advice needed!

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the flares being more common in your job; can only think of wearing glove (if that's possible) or putting on a layer of ointment to reduce the contact with the ingredients in the kitchen or the frequent washing. Water dries out the hand, soap even more. Kitchen also has many airborne allergen, eggs in the air being one of the most common triggers. However, since your allergy test came back with no positive results, not sure about that..

Hope things turn out better soon, take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Lactobakilla

by Lactobakilla on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:41 am

I have had eczema my entire life, so 22 years and counting.
I have found there are 3 primary factors to keeping my skin clear.
Food & water, Environment, and fitness.

Start with getting off those steroids and prescriptions they're not healthy for you. and they're just cover ups. its like putting make up on and not addressing the root of the issue. There is most likely an imbalance in your immune system and that's causing inflammatory effects. probably from contact with trace amounts of chemicals both ingested and externally contact your skin.

Start cutting out as much non-organic foods as you can, and start drinking spring water instead of tap.
Eat primarily, or only what is natural to the eye. if you have to read the ingredients to decide, think twice. then read the label and decide.
When you consume food that isn't organic you are consuming trace pesticide residues that can cause inflammations to your skin. Same with ground water. There are 51 trace pesticides found in ground water according to the USDA, you shower in that too. So invest in a chlorine filter for the shower as well. if you live in a warm climate, use organic coconut oil while you shower.
You can search a pesticide residue database online at http://whatsonmyfood.org/

Manage a clean environment. stay out of dust, away from chemicals, and wear fresh clothes always. I am also allergic to dust mites. dust is a guaranteed flare for me. Get sun, the sun is a natural antiseptic and produces vitamin D. and clean, temperate air, Going from one extreme climate to another can cause a flare. generally heat is going to be more irritant. cold can be good, if you flare go into the cold and let it numb out. but too cold can cause dryness and reverse the effect. If you live by the ocean or can make it, go to the ocean! the high magnesium and mineral content will cleanse and heal wounds and hydrate your skin.
I'm moving to hawaii in a few months for this very reason. The ocean is healer!

Exercise and exertion is important. exercise will greatly increase how fast your skin heals. and the way you have been eating along with the exercise you did for the day will work together while you are resting. Because sleep is when your body regenerates and heals the most. if you lack efficient rest and start to stress you can cause your immune system to crash and in turn invite your skin to break out!

use small thin amounts or organic coconut oil to moisturize so it doesn't crack, and coconut oil is naturally antibacterial. you can use raw shea butter to hydrate if you need something of thicker consistency. Before you go to bed, apply emu oil to your cuts and cover with gauze tape if its really bad.

As for the kitchen job, that's a hard one. we all have to pay rent yeah. i just quit a kitchen job because the dishwashing detergents were causing my forearms, hands, and neck to breakout passed control. they wanted me to go to the doc and get drugs but i said fuck that im out. kitchens are full of chemicals. read all the labels on whats around you.

Bless! good luck in the journey.

Mercedesduran45

by Mercedesduran45 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:06 pm

After used Foderma Serum Cleared up my seasonal eczema in two weeks when the rash was at its peak! Love that it's mostly natural - there is a herb like smell, but not offensive and goes away pretty quickly after application. It does tingle a bit when you first apply if the skin is really inflamed - again a minor issue and goes away within a few minutes. I highly recommend!

emmalouise19

by emmalouise19 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi
Since birth I've had eczema and only recently have I tried to look after it properly instead of constantly applying steroid cream.
I have a porridge bath everyday and elimated dairy from my diet.
The porridge bath is something not many people know about but it has saved my skin!
I get porridge oats and put them in a pair of tights and then tight at the foot so it's like a ball of porridge and then float it round the bath. After about half an hour, I then get the ball and rub it gently over my skin. You'll immediately feel how soft your skin feels and it helps with flare ups. I eat my flare up from eating dairy and was lucky I found this out myself instead of having to get a lot of tests done. So I avoided dairy but although my skin wasn't red and itchy, it was so dry and flaky and that's where the porridge bath and daily moisturisers help.
My eczema has been really good since!
I used to think all these creams doctors gave you worked but they just cover up the real cause, eczema is started from the gut, find out what you're allergic to and elimate.
Hope this helps and please tell me if the porridge also works for you!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Wow, your porridge oats idea sounds fab :) Did you discover it on your own? And did using a commercial oatmeal bath oil feel the same/ different? Interesting.. keep us posted!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

eczemafix

by eczemafix on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 am

Eczema fixed. I am here for you all who suffer. those days are over for me!
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL not allowed: Removed

7 posts