Hi.. I have DISCOID/NUMMULAR Eczema- NEED to vent..

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

12 posts
ohcoolcircles

by ohcoolcircles on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi.. I have DISCOID/NUMMULAR Eczema- NEED to vent..

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie here. I'm 30 years old, and for my 30th birthday back in November, I got eczema!

A little background...

All of my life I experienced sensitive facial skin, minor to sometimes severe break outs, and blackheads etc. As an adult, it's calmed down a bit. Now I just get the monthly hormonal woman awesomeness breakouts (or at least thats what I've chalked it up to, but now I'm thinking it could be eczema)

Back in November of 2015 I got this strange circle rash on my left knee. It was actually more of just a round red spot. I didn't know what it was. Did I scrape my knee? I dont know. I ignored it, no less.
After 3-4 weeks I noticed that it not only has not disappeared, but it grew! What started out as maybe the size of a nickle, was now the size of the top of a soda can. And ITCHY at time!
I went on SPRUCE- an app I'm sure some of you are familiar with. For those of you who are not, it is an app that connects patients with dermatologists. They "examine" you by way of photos that you upload, and a series of questions relating to your chief complaint.
Anyway, the Derm on there told me what I had was "Nummular Eczema" and he prescribed Triamcinilone (sorry if I spelled that wrong!) ointment. Basically a mild topical steroid. I used this and didn't see much improvement. By this point in time I had two more of these skeeving circles on my left forearm. One was/is right at the bend of my elbow and one on my forarm about 6 inches up toward my wrist.
I continued to moisturize etc. Did everything doc said. Very little improvement. The rash seemed to fan out a little and grow in diameter.

I was at the local urgent care facility on an unrelated trip (asthma was acting up) and I mentioned the rash to the practitioner. She took one look at it and said "Oh that's ringworm"

...I wasn't surprised because I originally suspected ringworm when I contacted the doc on Spruce.

Moving forward, I immediately PANIC and contact my supervisor. I work for a government agency, dealing directly with the public. I felt like I had to mention this before returning to work. I was told that I needed to get medical clearance to return to work, so I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist for next day. I felt diseased and contagious for the rest of that day and night. I felt SO bad because I swore my husband that the rash wasnt contagious.. but now its gone from harmless eczema to FUNGAL infection... game changer

The next day, as soon as the dermatologist took one look she said "that is NOT ringworm, you're just drying out"
confirms the initial diagnosis of nummular eczema. Takes a look at my back (where I was developing a rash that was somewhat of a cluster of pimple like bumps) and tells me thats another type of eczema too. She recommended I continue with the Triamcinilone- writes my medical clearance note, and sends me on my way. I was so happy that it was NOT ringworm, and not contagious................

But I had no idea what I was in for.

Since then.... this eczema has taken over my body and my MIND. I've tried so many different ointments, creams, lotions, oils, etc. Nothing seems to get rid of the nummular eczema. Now I have random pimple-like bumps on my bodys (chest, neck, arms, cheeks) that do not respond well to ointments, as that can clog pores, so I really dont know what to do for that.

My biggest issue is the nummular eczema (also known as discoid dermatitus/eczema)

It's almost mid spring time and it's gonna be short sleeve weather soon. I feel like people are going to take one look at me and think I'm contagious, and I'm not!

I've actually considered getting a spray tan just to help camouflage these spots, but I think it might just make them look worse!

There is so much more to my story but thats the short version!

I'm even seeing doctors about dietary causes.... it seems I just cant figure out what changed. There were two events that happened around the time that this started.... my husband and I moved out of our house in the city and in with his parents until we bought our house....and also around that time I began laser tattoo removal on a tattoo... but there is no eczema around that area. I just thought it might have something to do with my immune system.. Not sure!! But its driving me crazy!

Anyone else out there suffering from either of these types of eczema? (or both!?)

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Hi.. I have DISCOID/NUMMULAR Eczema- NEED to vent..

Oh dear, sorry to hear of all the eczema/skin problems. It's quite difficult to guess the trigger/ the cause, have you taken an allergy test? May want to consider to narrow down the triggers so that it's easier to manage.. take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi and welcome to talkeczema,

I am really sorry to hear of your situation and how much this is impacting your life.

It may be worth reading through some of our information pages/articles in our eczema hub and see if anything there helps you identify the cause?

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/talkeczema/

I hope it improves soon for you, please keep us updated.
Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

ohcoolcircles

by ohcoolcircles on Fri May 27, 2016 1:24 pm

UPDATE:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop back in and share with everyone how I finally got my skin clear!! Its half good, half bad news. Good news because I found a solution to clearing the spots and now have some answers, but bad because I'm still pending bloodwork results to rule out some autoimmune diseases and viruses that may be behind this.

I've been jumping through all kinds of hoops and seeing all different doctors trying to find out why my persistent "nummular eczema" just would NOT clear up... I used hydrocortisone, triamcinolone, lydex, you know it, I tried it. Every lotion on the market. Well I wasn't just dry after all.
This past week I was finally properly diagnosed (via skin biopsy) with pityriasis lichenoides. My doctor prescribed Topicort cream (Desoximeasone Cream USP 0.25%) and within one week, ALL of my red dry crappy looking patches are healed. Nearly 100% clear.
I just needed to share this for those of you out there who are suffering from this and struggling with ointments that aren't working. The Topicort is on the stronger end of the topical steroid spectrum, but it worked like a miracle. Hope this helps someone out there. I'm in tears looking at my legs now. I never thought the marks would go away. With summer around the corner I was so worried about wearing shorts or any dresses above the ankle (I know it sounds vain but, were all human)

Its a prescription cream, but please talk to your doctor and see if this is something that could work for you. I know I will likely see more spots pop up, and its not the cure to the condition... but this cream is the only thing so far thats taken the spots and redness away! Good luck all. I'm going to post this elsewhere also in hope to reach others.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon May 30, 2016 4:50 am

Thanks for sharing the good news! Do remember to check with the doctor on the 'dosage' of the cream and how to reduce its use overtime and what other measures you can take along with prescription, have a good week!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

CC-Paul

by CC-Paul on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Sorry late to the party but that's great news that you finally found the correct treatment. Hope you can enjoy the summer a lot more now :)
Paul
talkhealth Community Champion

JeniferVasquez

by JeniferVasquez on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:52 am

My husband has had exzema on his ankle for about 5 yrs or so. Nothing has ever helped. He has tried prescriptions, over the counter and all kinds of things. I asked my Dr about what may help him and he mentioned foderma serum. I got it for him and his ankle hasn't itched since. When it does start to itch, he applies a small amount and the itch is gone. I hope it stays working. But, this is the first time his foot hasn't been bothering him. I'm glad we found foderma.

eczemaliving

by eczemaliving on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:46 am

I can understand your situation as I have been into the same situation before. I am mother of 2 babies. When my younger baby was 8 months, he ate something at a restaurant, broke out in hives, was taken to ER, and thats how my journey to food allergies, severe eczema, seasonal allergies, and digestive issues started. My baby is now 5 years today, under control, but still a struggle.

The cause of Nummular eczema is still unknown. As per the researchers and experts, the hereditary and environmental factors may affect the skin of an individual. However, people with atopic dermatitis, allergies or asthma may develop discoid eczema. Many people with nummular eczema tend to have a sensitive skin that easily gets irritated.

I advice you to carefully follow the instructions given to you by your dermotologist. Besides, you should take very much attention to your diet plan as it could help you recover fast.

With my experience of managing my baby disease, and knowledge from reading research papers and studies helped me set up a blog. Eczema or any sort of skin infection is not a single point disease, it requires a strong management plan from all angles. So, you’ll find my experiences, my knowledge, my opinions, latest research, my recipes, and my emotions on my blog! I will be happy if my blog(eczemaliving.com)can be an assistance in the journey of your son's recovery from this disease.

Thanks,
Nav
Nav Gosal
Founder and CEO - https://eczemaliving.com/
Twitter: @eczemaliving
Email Contact : eczemaliving@gmail.com

marcoj88

by marcoj88 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi allI
I have been suffering from discoid eczema for years. I tried lots of different lotions and creams etc.I did a course of light therapy, 3 times a week that worked great. But the best thing I finally found that works the best is Aveeno eczema therapy moisturising cream. The other Aveeno ones don't work so well as they aren't as thick. Its a bit expensive, but I couldn’t live without it, I rarely use a steroid cream now. As soon as I get out of the shower I plaster this stuff all over my legs and arms.Hope this helps

12 posts