Advice needed

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
igraham73

by igraham73 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:13 am

Advice needed

Hi

My mum has been diagnosed with Severe hand and feet eczema and is known to be allergic Methylisothiozoline and Methylchloroisothiazolane.
She has been on various emollients and steroid creams and her GP has referred her to a Dermatologist for PUVA bath treatment but we have been waiting 10 weeks and the treatment is not available with the private hospitals I have spoken to.
Ive attached some pictures of her hands and feet and be really grateful for any feedback as feel we are not getting anywhere with getting my mum better.
Thanks
Ian

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 am

Re: Advice needed

Sorry to hear of the severe hand eczema... perhaps for now to keep off irritants, not do washing/ use detergent/wet wipes, and keep the hands moisturized?
See if this interview with dermatologist can offer some ideas for your mom, take care
http://eczemablues.com/2015/09/hand-ecz ... -skincare/
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

eczemafix

by eczemafix on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 am

Hey, I promise you this is the chance to spread awareness.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL not allowed: Removed

klevis1988

by klevis1988 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:51 pm

I reacted very badly to the handsoap at work that contained Methylisothiazolinone.
I am also allergic to Chloroxyleno, Chlorocresol and Formaldehyde which are widely found in almost everything.

To make a long story short, here are the changes I've made. I am almost hand eczema free now!
Start with what you come in contact with on a daily basis:
- Body wash/soap: I use the Kiss my face Olive oil bar. It only has 3 ingredients. (smells terrible but is very effective)
- Coconut oil as a body moisturizer and make up remover
- Tarte Maracuja face oil (for the face obviously)
- Shampoo/conditioner: Live Clean -Exotic Silk Keratin Oil (It can be purchased anywhere!)
- Vaseline and white cotton gloves (purchased on amazon) really help keep your hands hydrated at night
- Apple cider vinegar: applied to the bubbles/weeping eceza. It dries it out (caution: can and or should be diluted in water as it will sting).

Laundry detergent is loaded with chemicals, so I opted to making my own. Here is a recipe I found online:

Homemade Laundry Powder

Author: Megean Weldon
Recipe Type: Cleaning
Yield: Almost a quart

Ingredients
• 1 cup Baking Soda (bulk bins/paper)
• 1 cup Washing Soda (bulk bins/paper)
• 1 bar Pure Castile Soap (paper) (I use the Dr. Bronner’s baby bar)
• Several drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)
Instructions
1. Finely grate the bar of castile soap.
2. Mix baking soda, washing soda, castile soap, and essential oil together.
3. Use about 2-3 tablespoons per load depending on size and load soil level.

4 posts