Introduction and Background

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
marklombo

by marklombo on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Introduction and Background

Hello all--I joined today because I'm thoroughly confused and frustrated with a series of seemingly unrelated symptoms that apparently none of my HCPs can figure out. Thought since Eczema was one of my most obvious symptoms I'd share my experience here.

(note that I have always had very oily skin)

1 year ago, I began getting very dry skin on the outside of my calves, which quickly turned into eczema/rash/discoloration.

6 months ago I began regularly getting other strange symptoms: itchiness all over my body--mainly abdomen, then a rash on my lower right side abdomen (which actually looks different that my shin eczema), nauseousness, a weird sensation on/near my abdomen rash after I ate anything, cloudy vision, slightly pink eyes, tiny bumps all over my chest, abdomen and arms, and general itchiness ALL OVER MY MIDSECTION AND LEGS.

Throughout this summer I have battled those symptoms on and off.

Began with my PCP prescribing me some antibiotics and referring me to derm. Derm then quickly diagnosed this as eczema and gave me the same antibiotics, a steroid cream and told me to 'moisturize'. Seemed strange since I have incredibly oily skin and I have no idea how now at 43 i just randomly have dry skin. But I followed doctors orders.

Hasn't gotten better. PCP cant figure it out. All my tests are normal. Allergist tests normal. GI tests normal. Only lead I have left is that it started pussing gross yellow stuff yesterday so I'm assuming it's infected and I've got an appointment back with the derm. Wonder if that infection is so bad its just causing all these other symptoms?

Next up is a skin biopsy....

The eczema is one thing but I guess if I had a question for anyone else who has dealt with eczema: 1. Has it ever made your vision cloudy? That won't go away....and... 2. Why would it cause red bumps all over my skin in other places--even when I am now moisturizing 3 times a day! 3. Still itching all over.

Hello and I look forward to learning from this community and getting to know some folks. Thanks!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Introduction and Background

Sorry to hear of your problems, but seem like doing a skin biopsy could provide more info.. don't think eczema causes vision to be cloudy unless you're applying the steroid cream near the eye and it somehow affected the eyes.. I do think it's possible for oily skin to have eczema, as the oil on the surface may not mean that the internal skin layers/ barriers are well, same as it is common for people to have both acne and eczema. The moisturizing helps with skin barrier moisture retention and relief itching if it's from dry skin - it won't solve the itching if there's something else triggering the itch. Maybe you can consider seeing an immunologist instead, who may have better experience with analysing all your symptoms which may not be eczema/ just skin related.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts