Eczema on the face

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

73 posts
Nick91

by Nick91 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: My facial eczema is dragging me down

(Ok, I wrote this once but it disappeared, so if it appears twice, my bad)

So I'm not glad to see that others are suffering from it too, but I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one. I have the whole contact dermatitis thing, so for the past few months the pollen in the air has caused me to break out big time, especially on the face/neck. I had the worst case to-date earlier this season, starting with the usual itchiness on the face then spread into that rash that is so itchy it burns until you want to cry, if you know what I mean? It resulted in a very swollen face, a trip to the hospital, and a first introduction to the IV. Fun times. The rashiness lasted about a week and was absolutely the worst feeling ever. Since then I've had the eczema on and off, usually around the mouth/cheeks, and often spreads to the eyes causing them to swell. Like others, it's made me extremely self-conscious, especially being in high school and having to deal with the awkward staring from other kids. I'm wondering if people think it's contagious or something?

And about the oral/topical steroids: All I've had were prescription. I've had Lyderm; a steroid cream which I didn't have much luck with, and you only use it at night and involves surran wrap. :? Then there's hydrocortisone cream; I've used a couple times when I've gotten the thicker skin rash. It works like a miracle and starts to cure overnight. But it can be strong, so the doctors rarely prescribe it. Then I've had prednisone; a steroid pill, which is pretty strong and I hate it. That's what I was given when I was in the hospital^^, though it worked, it left me feeling pretty awful. I guess most steroid pills do that? Now I have Betamethasone; a steroid cream which I also haven't had much luck with. It helps with the itchng, but it doesn't absorb much so just sits on the skin and can be annoying to use.

ironchef

by ironchef on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Dry skin on face!!!! Whats the best cleansing regime?

Try Cliniderm cleanser. I've been using it for a few months now instead of regular soap. My face hasn't had a rash in a while. Also, I think my rashes had been a result of ignoring my food allergies. Now that I've eliminated offending foods and started taking evening primrose oil (liquid) and fish oil, my skin has been clear and softer.

http://www.canderm.com/page.asp?intNodeID=8018

reen2pinky

by reen2pinky on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:23 am

I am going off to college soon and really scared about it. i have eczema on face, legs and arms and your right its very hard to socialize in school. Everyone stares at you and swears that your contagious or something. I'm just worried i might not know how to cope with it especially in a new environment

Stuy

by Stuy on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:34 pm

blackorchid22 wrote:Hi everyone,
It has gotten to the point, however, that my eczema on my face is so bad, that I cannot go to work. I work as a sales professional and meet with customers face to face, so I am obviously very self-conscious of my eczema because I know everyone can see it. I haven't been able to put 100% into my work because my eczema and allergies are just dragging me down. Most of the time I don't want to leave the house because of how my face looks. I spend a significant amount of time everyday trying to calm my skin down...
Just wanted to share that with everyone. I was starting to feel hopeless and depressed. I just want my eczema on my face to go away so I can live my life. :?
Hi to all,

I sympathise strongly with this as I have had eczema all my life and was eventually diagnosed with the seborrhoeic form in 2004 due to the eczema spreading over my scalp and t-zone of my face. Like most sufferers of this illness, you have times when the eczema comes and goes on its own volition which puzzles us and GPs. Unfortunately my eczema has worsened year by year with age, as being in my mid thirties now i rarely get more than a few weeks of relief from it. With red burning, itching, weeping and flaking patches of skin on your face you would have to be a very strong character indeed to not have your life (working and relationships) badly affected by this illness.

I use the steroid cream Daktacort and or Aloe vera lotion but can't say they are a cure.
Interestingly the only sure fire rapid healing of my condition occurs when i holiday in southern Spain. It sounds crazy but i wonder if there is studies to find a link to the condtion and the climate you live in. I also think going from a hard to soft water area is an important factor.
regards stuy

figgymyson

by figgymyson on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:33 am

Hi,

I was interested to read your message as I've been suffering from a similar problem for almost two years now. I'm 33. I've been to see two dermatologists, one reckoned I have seborrheic dermatitis and the other just straight dermatitis. The areas affected are my face, mainly forehead and central area and my chest. Controlling it on my chest is proving easier but my face has been a nightmare. I had no joy with datakort and found the only thing that proved any help was Protopic. I now use this on my face and Hydrocrotisone 2.5% sparingly on my chest. The frustating thing about the dermatitis on my face is that it never fully goes so I am applying cream every day to keep it to a minimum.
I am currently trying to look at different approaches. I have really altered my lifestyle and diet and feel by adopting this approach along with taking the right food supplements I can really start to see some improvement.

Keep battling.

Rich

Stuy

by Stuy on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi,

It's saddening but reassuring to relise that more people than I thought are suffering from the same condition. I will certainly look into using Protopic and also a humidifier to see if it helps with my condition. I'm not too sure about dietary changes, having spent alot of time and money over the years on special herbal, vitamin/ mineral, vegetarian, vegan, heavily meat orientated, wheat free, gluten free, etc... diets, including allergy & intollerance testing. Stress reduction and lifestyle changes although harder to implement in the UK, are I think very important and wish everyone well with acheiving those ( I still havn't acheived those as yet :( ).

As a footnote, I will say that many people I have met who don't and have never suffered from any form of eczema don't in my opinion have much sympathy or understanding of facial eczema sufferers. This is maybe because the condition is unstable as it comes and goes, I don't know.

wishing everyone well,
stuy

figgymyson

by figgymyson on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Guys, I really need some advice, especially from people who suffer from facial excema. I've had this myself for nearly 2 years, constantly without any let up. Then only break I have is when I go on holiday somewhere sunny and the problem disappears for around 2 weeks and then returns the same as before. I don't know what is causing the problem and I have been through a range of treatments. Trust me I have been through the lot - steroids, protopic, cylcosporin and azathioprene (didn't get on with either of them), salt baths, emollients, phototherapy etc etc.
All I have learnt is that my dermatologist would write me a prscription for anything if he could get me out of his office. I have decided that I am going to be in this for the long haul and the problem might never go away (the thought of having this for the rest of my life scares the crap out of me and makes me very depressed).

At the moment I apply Protopic every night to my face. This has some effect but never clears the problem. Its's not meant for continuous use yet I don't have any other option than to apply a steroid cream daily to my face which I will never do. Fortunatly I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks so will come off the Protopic and get some much needed sun.

Has anyone else had any experience treating chronic eczema on their face. Also has anyone suffered any bad side effects from applying mild steroids to their face over a long period. My derm still reckons the latter is okay but I honestly reckon I am more of an expert on eczema than he is.

Sorry to ramble but sat at work in discomfort and feeling sorry for myself.

Rich

sarah

by sarah on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:12 pm

I found a website called NAET. Please take a look and see if any of you think this is something that might be worth to give a try.

xoxo

by xoxo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:43 pm

3 month old eczema on face

I was prescribed 1% hydrocortisone cream to put on my 3 month old's face to reduce the redness.
Has anyone ever done this? When my toddler had flare ups, his doctor told me to never put it on the face and to just moisturize it. I just moved and now my 3 month old doctor is telling me something different. I'm afraid that it will thin out or damage the skin on his face. Any insight? Any other ways I could help reduce the redness and swelling on his cheeks without putting on the hydrocortisone?
Thanks!!!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: 3 month old eczema on face

I have used it on my daughter from within weeks of birth. The longer you leave the eczema without treatment the longer the need to use steroids to clear the thickening skin. I would use the hydrocortizone for 2 or 3 days once a day and moisturise 3 or more times a day. Epaderm or Hyromol are good greasy creams. as long as you have more days off than on then you should be ok. Keep a log so you can report back to your doctor. But moisturiser alone does not work. Correctly used steroids should not carry too much risk. Sometimes I have to juggle the risks over the comfort and quality of life. Good luck it is hard especially treating a baby, i've done it with both of mine so understand your troubles. If your worried go back to your doctor and ask for clarification of the treatment and the risks. Good luck. Just a note all the creams which come in massive tubs also come in small sizes which are much better for popping into your changing bag. Just ask.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

73 posts