Eczema and food allergies

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

52 posts
admin
Site Admin

by admin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 am

Free From Diets

Have you taken any foods out of your diet that has had a postiive impact on your eczema? Tell us about it here.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon May 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Eczema and Dairy

My daughter has since 4 months old had a dairy allergy and remained on a dairy free diet for the last 3 years. In 2 weeks she goes for a food trial in hopsital as blood tests are showing her IGE has gone down. She has severe eczema so I have often defended dairy as a cause, as she does not have it and many people blame it. It will be very interesting to see how her Eczema reacts when hopefully she tests clear and can introduce it into her diet. Has anyone else introduced dairy after life long exclusion?? How did your eczema fair?
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Tue May 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Eczema and Dairy

We tried dairy with our son after 4 years due to RAST scores dropping drastically. My son reacted within 10 minutes with hives followed by stomach pain and mucousy bowel movements and his eczema began to flare. Having said that some people have success so hopefully your daughter will.

ROOTI

by ROOTI on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Could it be peppermint? Red food?

I'm in my early 40s and started getting eczema last New Year. Initially, I had a severe reaction to my new girlfriend's hair dye which made my eyes swell up, water and itch. My girlfriend stopped using the hair dye, but the eczema started to spread first to to my arms and torso, then my neck and now my face. I've tried a load of different things: scratch tests, patch tests (neither of which showed up anything), Chinese Medicine, creams - steroid and otherwise - but it continues to persist. I'm having accupunture at the moment, about which I'm still undecided. The conclusion drawn by my accupuncturist and the Chinese Doctor, was that even though the initial irritant had been eliminated, my immune system remains out of balance. This sort of makes sense to me. More recently, I've been trying a very strict diet (very difficult as I'm an enthusiastic cook) cutting out wheat, alcohol, dairy, caffeine, chillis etc. I have had some success, there are moments when it virtually completely clears up, but in spite of keeping a food diary I can't work out what it is that causes flare ups or makes it settle down? The internet can drive you a little loopy as there are no end of stories that contradict each other. I had a flare up the other day but was unable to decide if this was due to suddenly coming in from the cold to a warm environment, or that I just started chewing some gum. Then this morning, after a very strong mint tea last night, it flared up. Is it possible to be allergic to peppermint? A friend of mine who gets psoriasis said his was kept under control by avoiding red foods... Anyone heard of this? Forgive the lengthy missive.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Could it be peppermint? Red food?

Red food was thought to be a trigger for my son, we avoided it for a long time but found no positive result and the stress of avoiding food is not good in itself. May be worth a try.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

Kahl

by Kahl on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:08 am

Re: Eczema and Dairy

Most people reacts badly with dairy, they not only have eczema but other things as well. I wish you and your daughter all the best.

Kindly read on this article as it talks about other foods and additives that could be causing eczema. She may react well with dairy but something else she's taking that's causing her eczema to flare up.

http://www.deliahealth.com/health-tips/ ... n-problem/
Elvin C.

To get info about EFA and eczema, kindly go to this site http://www.deliahealth.com

Kahl

by Kahl on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:11 am

Re: Free From Diets

Hi guys, this article may be helpful as it talks about other foods and additives that could be causing your eczema to flare up.

http://www.deliahealth.com/health-tips/ ... n-problem/
Elvin C.

To get info about EFA and eczema, kindly go to this site http://www.deliahealth.com

mum26

by mum26 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Eczema and food allergies

i had to push and push and push for my 10month old daughter to be tested.
I think its disgusting that they put mums and dads off the idea of being linked. i ended up going to my GP
every vveek for about 7months before they did the reff!! lucky they did too!! they found out she is allergic to
dairy, cats, egg and nuts!! they told me that the nut allergy could possibly make my daughter go into shock, so vvhen she
reaches 10kg they can give her an eppie pen(soz cant spell) so it is so lucky i pused them for it.
it concirns me that they dont ref babys that keep getting skin infections and lack of sleep and not eating.
Since they changed her creams and given me the info about the allergys my daughter is alot better, she still has
ectopic eczema but she seams alot more chilled and happy these days.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:00 pm

mum26

Please do look at our talkallergy site there is a lot of support there also.

Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

leanneava

by leanneava on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Jimbob wrote:I wondering how many people have found that their eczema or their childs eczema is affected by food. My son had severe eczema until we had tests done for food allergies. Once we had removed all the foods he tested positive to we were able to control his eczema much better. We were also able to pinpoint other foods that James was reacting to. When I asked our GP, HV and Dermatologist if my sons eczema could be linked to food allergies I was told that it rarely is so not to even bother looking into it. It was not untill we ended up in A&E with James because his eczema was that bad he could not sleep, eat or drink properly because he could not stay still long enough that we were refered to a fantastic paed consultant. The first thing he did was book James in for RAST tests and change his emollients as they seemed to be making his skin worse. I often feel terible that I did not insist on allergy tests sooner but at least we got them in the end.

hi i was wondering what is this RAST tests? thanks

52 posts