Eczema and food allergies

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

52 posts
ironchef

by ironchef on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:02 am

Re: Help with persistant eczema and allergies

Jimbob,

I don't understand WHY dermatologists DENY that eczema is linked to ALLERGIES!!! I find it so unforgivable. Sorry you had to go through all that....

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 pm

I sometimes wonder if dermatologists deny food allergies are linked to eczema flares as that way you will need more conventional medication to treat the eczema than you would if you removed the foods form your diet. I know that sounds very cynical. I think seeing my child go through so much hell that could of been lessened had the dermatologists listened and tested him for food allergies has made me this way.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:27 pm

I found the higher up the medical ladder the less they believed in food allergies and were even less likely to look into it.

My children have true food allergies but these have still not helped and they were both really bad with eczema when 100% breast fed, so I can see that that food is not a starting point. The world of allergy, intolerance and irritant is complex.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

linds3b

by linds3b on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi Rebecca, I was in a similar situation with my twin boys, their eczema started at 2 months, by 6 months it was really bad, red raw and weeping almost all over and especially on their face, we swaddled them at night to stop the scratching and it settled them really well, during the day they constantly had socks on their hand also to stop the scratching. At 6 month we saw a dermatologist and luckily they responded really well to the strong steroids and aveeno they were prescribed, the eczema did return but we have since carried on using the steroids to control it and luckily it is no longer as bad as it was. We still have persistent patches that we are constantly treating. Right from weaning we knew that food was a big factor as they would get a rash round there face where certain foods touched and occasionally puffy eyes or a full on rash from certain foods. We have had tests and we know one of the boys is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, avocado, banana and house dust mite. He has an epipen for the nut allergy as he also has asthma. We also use to find strong tomato based sauces would trigger a rash but they tolerate them now. There has been other foods we are unsure of but have not been tested. Hopefully, now you know his allergies things may start to improves as you eliminate them form his diet,I know myself what a nightmare this is, constantly checking everything! Has he been tested for house dust mite? just thinking that may explain the ball pool trigger if it has carpet under it, or maybe it a chemical they use to clean it.
I hope ive helped a little, Take care!

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:02 pm

My sons eczema was also severe when exclusively breastfed but I believe it was the food I was eating that he was reacting to. I know people that have babies with eczema where elimination diets have worked really well. If anybody is planning this though it is obviously worth seeing a dietician to make sure you are still getting all your dietary needs from the foods you are eating.

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:08 pm

I forgot to add that I don't believe that all eczema is due to food allergies but I know that mys sons is. I also know other parents that have found the same thing. I just think it is an avenue worth looking at especially when the eczema is not respnding to conventional treatment.

Stephen

by Stephen on Fri May 22, 2009 3:06 am

Hello Rebecca: I am sorry to hear your story. My son is almost 4. For the last year and a half he has had tons of eczema problems. Last week three nights he slept through the night for the first time in over a year. But then it has returned to all night scratching again. We now have the snuggle paws pajamas to help him from scratching himself raw. We have not been able to find all the triggers or elmintate them. Its a nightmare that just keeps on going and going. My poor wife is more sleep deprived than I am. Its horrible. I hope your situation improves.
I will say a prayer for you and your family.
Steve

donna86

by donna86 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Found a solution!!!!

Hi everyone just thought I would share my amazing news. After 2 and a half years of having severe ezcema all over my body, and after having numerous test and hospital visits, the dermatologist was clutching at straws with me and mentioned about trying a wheat free diet. I did a trial for a month and in this time my ezcema has improved by 90%. I have the odd bit here and there still but think its just a time thing now. I hope this can help any of you to maybe try this.

sf34_22

by sf34_22 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Found a solution!!!!

Well done Donna :D

Awel

by Awel on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: Found a solution!!!!

I'm so happy for you, hope things keep on improving x

52 posts