Does eczema make you unattractive?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
Sterling94

by Sterling94 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 am

Does eczema make you unattractive?

Hi there

I have suffered from eczema all of my life and have convinced myself that it's a disease that makes you ugly and not attractive to the opposite sex. I wondered if anyone out there feels the same

Does having this skin disease make it ten times harder to meet a partner in life? or is it all in the mind?

I'm hoping that some of you lovely people out there would be willing to help me out

Many thanks for reading!
Last edited by Sterling94 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Does eczema make you unattractive?

hi Sterling94

So sad to hear that you feel eczema makes you unattractive, remember people see beyond eczema to the real you which shines through. Please read through our eczema pages and try our online clinic to see if anything there lifts you up. I'm sure some of our other members will have happy endings to tell you.

best wishes
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Di Graham

by Di Graham on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Yes, there have been instances throughout my life when I've felt very unattractive because of my eczema.
As a child I had other children refuse to hold hands with me as theri mothers said I might have soemthing they could 'catch' !
As an adult people tend to either avoid looking at you directly (this when facial eczema flares up) or be over solicitous with suggestions you don't need----which, although well meant, is really annoying.
Luckily I met, and later married, an amazing man (sadly now passed away) who was only too glad to help with caring for my skin (very difficult to see what's happening on your back etc).
So, no, it's not all in your mind. There are people who see beyond the scabby skin and equally there are plenty more who don't.
Sadly, because of the society we live in where youth and blemish free skin is celebrated, many judge others by the way they look, so it might be more difficult to find a partner.
I suggest you concentrate on doing things that make you happy and increase your confidence--that's if you're not doing that already. Don't rely too much on your GP helping you out. If you can find a dermatological consultant who suffers from eczema then you have a much better chance of getting the help you'd like, to look as good as possible. They are, from my experience, in short supply.
Best of luck and don't let others put you down.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi Sterling94

I hope Di Graham's post gave you some positive vibes.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Momaaaa123

by Momaaaa123 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:45 am

No, you are BEAUTIFUL. I also have eczema and recently opened up a page to discuss skincare and how to decrease the likelihood of eczema flareups. My instagram is miaskincaree

Skincure

by Skincure on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:03 am

My daughter has very bad eczema from the time she was born. I would get worried as a mom seeing kids staring at her skin sometimes. But I have realized how strong and beautiful of a person her skin condition has made her. She said to me "MAMA SHOULDN'T WE LOOK AT THE INNER BEAUTY OF A PERSON." Recently we used Mitlow Herbal Salve and it has completely cleared her eczema in just few days. But over all her skin conditions have made her very kind and polite to other people.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:15 am

Agree :) Am also glad that my daughter has maintained a cheerful disposition despite the itch and the marks on my hands/legs. Best to 2019!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

eczemaliving

by eczemaliving on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:52 am

Hi Sterling,

Hope your doing well!

Our Skin is a reflection of how we feel about ourselves. Your condition revealed to you that the hatred and resentment you felt towards your skin was actually how you deep down felt about yourself. Once you stopped being so darn angry with yourself your skin started to heal.
Nav Gosal
Founder and CEO - https://eczemaliving.com/
Twitter: @eczemaliving
Email Contact : eczemaliving@gmail.com

8 posts