Can a Leather Sofa Cause Skin Problems?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
donna86

by donna86 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Can a Leather Sofa Cause Skin Problems?

Hi just thought I'd share my news. Have had some patch tests this week with the dermatologist and havin 54 different substances on my back only 2 flared up bad, chrome and nickle. Apparantly chrome is in leather sofas which i bought 3 months before my flare up any one else have a experience like this?????

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:10 am

Re: can a sofa cause all this????

There was a news item on the TV last week (April 2010) about Argos and another company giving out compensation for health issues caused by chemicals in the leather sofas and chairs. These chemicals caused skin problems, breathing difficulties etc. You should contact the manufacturer of your furniture if you think you have a claim. Apparently Land of Leather furniture does not count because the company has gone into liquidation. Hope this helps.

Deborah Mason
Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am

Re: Can a Leather Sofa Cause Skin Problems?

My son reacts to leather if it is in direct contact with his skin. He gets terribly itchy and his eczema flares.

Sammie

by Sammie on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:41 pm

I recall seeing a programme on tv a while back about leather sofas...dfs, argos etc..
I think it was something like watchdog!! not 100% though.
They showed photos of the ppl that had had a reaction from the leather.
One woman died because she had sad such an adverse reaction to the chemicals.
They are anti-fungals that they put in the leather.
This happened prior to buying my leather sofa from scs..and I asked before I purchased it..
They said their leather was not treated with anti-fungals.
I remember a great many ppl tried to get a refund........but did not.

Have you tried covering the sofa with a throw temporarily until your issuses are delt with?

I wish you well

carrotbug

by carrotbug on Sat May 01, 2010 7:50 pm

i have all over itching and actively avoid leather sofas . sweaty and horrid. put a cotton thow on it my children like this. also easy to clean( no dust mites) every ones happyxxx

a86"]Hi just thought I'd share my news. Have had some patch tests this week with the dermatologist and havin 54 different substances on my back only 2 flared up bad, chrome and nickle. Apparantly chrome is in leather sofas which i bought 3 months before my flare up any one else have a experience like this?????[/quote]

deirdra

by deirdra on Fri May 07, 2010 6:01 pm

I was just thinking the same thing!! We have a leather sofa and chair and I always find the base of my back itchy and hot when I sit on it so usually have a cushion under my back, so yes, they can!

superman786

by superman786 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:49 am

No a leather sofa can not cause a skin problem
Last edited by admin on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: url removed as it was overtly promoting leather sofas - overt promotion in forums not permitted - see rules

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:24 am

Glad you've found the trigger chemical from the allergy testing and know it's from your leather sofa - if there's no way to remove the chemical, air it etc, throwing it away should still be cheaper than the additional doc consultations and medications and creams, have a happy new year!

Blessings,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

gordshelia123@gmail.com

by gordshelia123@gmail.com on Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:33 pm

Sofa dermatitis is a chronic skin allergy that affects persons who purchase leather sofas, couches, and other upholstered furniture items that include the anti-molding chemical dimethyl fumarate (DMF). This shows up as eczematous rashes and, occasionally, as severe chemical burns.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:03 pm

gordshelia123@gmail.com: I never knew that. I hope anyone reading your post takes note. I DO know it is possible to be allergic to most things: I am allergic to bleach/Flash bathroom spray/potatoes/etc. When my skin is irritated it lets me know: my skin becomes red and blotchy. It also itches and becomes painful. There is even slight bleeding. Basically, I cannot even use a drop of bleach. Thankfully I have found I am not allergic to all bathroom cleaners. Still, it is unpleasant.

Anyhow, I hope people heed your post if they are suffering the same symptoms. Whether from a sofa or something else.

10 posts