Re: help - advice needed!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

1 post
Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:21 am

Re: help - advice needed!

Sorry to hear of the eczema and the situation at work.. I have no personal experience in this as I'm a mom to an eczema child. However, I do think from what I've heard from dermatologists and eczema public talks that the kitchen or jobs with frequent hand washing can be difficult for eczema.

Here's an extract of what you can maybe do if you have to wash your hands frequently in the kitchen:
MarcieMom: For occupations such as caterers, hair dressers, nurses and mechanics, will wearing gloves during their jobs help to reduce contact dermatitis? If yes, what type of gloves should they wear?
(I read some recommendations for vinyl gloves while others recommend cotton-lined gloves. Avoid latex gloves.) Are there any guidance on how long one should wear glove (since that trap sweat which is a possible irritant)?
Dr Lynn: Yes, wearing gloves is recommended for those in certain occupations where contact with certain irritants is repeated and prolonged. I will generally recommend cotton gloves as they generally do not cause irritation. However, if contact with water is necessary, use a water- proof gloves. If wearing latex gloves makes the rash worse, a patch test can be done to determine latex allergy.
Glove choice should be appropriate to the situation. Alternative to latex gloves include vinyl, nitrile and chloroprene. However, some of the chemicals used in the manufacture of non-latex gloves can also cause hypersensitivity.
I will advise patients to remove the gloves after about 20 minutes to allow sweat to evaporate. Dry the gloves inside out when not in use.

The other thing to consider is if you are allergic to the food that get airborne, for instance, eggs is quite a common airborne allergen. You may consider allergy testing to figure if you are, and if yes, then avoidance of triggers seems the right approach.

Take care, and hope the situation at work will improve,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/