Eczema on tip of penis - very depressed

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Benjamin12

by Benjamin12 on Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Eczema on tip of penis - very depressed

Hello to anybody who can possibly help

Please don't laugh! - I have what has been described as eczema, sometimes psoriasis but 8/10 dermatologists say there's nothing major wrong - right on the tip of the penis! Sorry for the graphic nature - but it's possibly an important point to note that I was born without much of a foreskin - effectively I'm circumcised without the operation - and has never been any problem ever before.

Long story short - an injury/bruise to the area happened three years ago, which appears to have left me with dry, slightly reddened, white marked/ flaky skin , which appears to be permanent, i.e it doesn't ever seem to go away or flare up, it's just permanently there.

I don't have eczema anywhere else on my body, have never suffered with skin problems elsewhere although I have mild asthma, and have been told I have pits in my finger nails - apparently that's some genetic predisposition for eczema.

I go through feelings of constant irritation, heat, burning, achiness, the occasional itchy feeling, and more often than I'd like - pain. Quite often I'd describe the feeling as the aftermath of a nettle sting.

Over 3 years I have tried all sorts of creams, natural i.e coconut oil, shea butter, medicinal (been given steroid creams on a few occasions by doctors/dermatologists which I cut out after 2 weeks after noticing a lot more irritation and dryness) I tried to do nothing once for a few months, I've cut out soaps, bubble bath, washing detergents conditioners, I use 100% loose cotton underwear, I think I've tried every cream /lotion under the sun. The shower Gel I use is Hypoallergenic to the point where it has no colour or fragrance (Sanex Hypoallergenic)

I've spent possibly over £2,000 in private consultations despite not really being able to afford them, but was desperate for a solution, or at least just a way to manage it. I generally get told the same thing - it's dry skin, no major concern, try moisturising or 'here's some hydrocortisone'.

Everything I put on it seems to make it more irritated/worse, and I mean vaseline, aquaphor, cerave, baby moisturisers (baby kingdom) , and I'm sure of this because it feels a little relieved when I then wash it off.

I've been tested for STD's, you name it been tested - always clear, I'm monogamous, have a fiance and very thankful to have just fathered a baby boy - so I'm at least grateful I was still able to manage that!

However, this is getting serious now, I am feeling increasing feelings of hopelessness as I find less and less people to turn to, Doctors cannot help they simply tell me it's a bit of dry skin , offer steroid creams, and then never follow up despite my repeated attempts to tell them I'm in near constant pain/irritation.

My thoughts are turning to darker things as this impedes my day to day life so badly, it is constantly hounding me almost every waking minute, I seem to be able to get sleep which I'm grateful for, but daily tasks are constantly met with thoughts of how will I manage to do this whilst I have this constant irritated feeling. I've been on and off anti depressants but I don't like them and don't feel they're a long term solution anyway.

My latest attempt is to try the no moisture therapy - which may just be another faddy thing - but I've read it can work for those who are trying to come off of steroid creams used for skin disorders such as eczema. It basically involves showering only once a week for 2 mins, using no moisturisers/creams or medications and limiting water intake, in an attempt to get the skin to restart itself and start healing itself without the assistance of anything. I like the theory and I haven't found anything else that helps.

I feel like there are people with much worse problems out there especially at the moment with the coronavirus going on, but I'm beyond hope and just need to hear something from someone that might give me a glimmer, sorry folks

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed May 13, 2020 4:06 am

Re: Eczema on tip of penis - very depressed

Sorry to hear of the persistent problem.. has any doctor offered to do a skin swap to just test for different bacteria/fungus to rule these out? Take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

cmilleruk

by cmilleruk on Wed May 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Don't feel ashamed for posting at all. That's why we are here. I have had this before but usually more blotchy and inflamed than dry and flaky. But never consistently, as you have, sadly suffered. Do you use contraception at all? Could it be a reaction to condoms? The problem is, i find, with areas like this is that they tend to be consistently aggravated by normal activities - like peeing. Its possibly similar when you have eczema around the anus. Have you tried any antibiotic cream? Sorry if mentioned these....I'm glancing through many posts.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:40 pm

I had that issue and solved it by using baby oil and dry skin creams as often as needed. It will pass as it has done for me.

4 posts