Lip Eczema experience

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Pinus_ponderosa

by Pinus_ponderosa on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 am

Lip Eczema experience

Hi all,

I know there has been a few posts regarding this topic already, but I thought I would share my story hoping it could help someone or start up another discussion about lip eczema.

Back in Feb this year I noticed a dry itchy patch of skin on the corner of my mouth. I didn't think too much of it at first thinking it could be some irritation. This patch then cleared up and my lips became really flaky, scaly and itchy around the vermilion border. I though I had a bad case of dry lips and slathered on the lip balm - it didn't help!

My lips started to get worse as they would swell up and weep a clear fluid, the texture of the lips also changed and became sandpaper like when I rub them together.

I went to my GP whom said immediately that I have thrush and sent me home with Miconazole, anti antibiotics and antiviral drugs to rule out any bacterial and viral infection. For weeks I would apply the Micoazole topically and my medication orally.

The lips looks bad during this stage as the Miconazole had such a drying affect on my lips but I persevered until three weeks was up however, the symptoms came back ( itchiness, inflammation and dryness) I spoke to my GP and again was prescribed the same antibiotics and antiviral except this time Fluconazole was added to take orally, I was to apply Miconazole again over the lips.

Weeks have past as I followed through with the medication my body was feeling so weak due to all the medication I was taking and due to the lips being so bad that I had loss my appetite. After this second course of medication the symptoms came back again, I decided to stop putting anything on my lips and see a dermatologist.

I didn't know what to expect at my appointment but described all the symptoms and what I have been prescribed to the dermatologist, after a visual examination I was diagnosed with lip dermatitis or lip eczema. I was asked if anything out of the ordinary has been in contact with my lips, I mentioned that prior to all the symptoms I had used Lucas Paw Paw and applied face paint over my lips for a party.

I was prescribed a weak Hydrocortisone 1% to use twice a day and to only use Vaseline pure jelly as an emollient. I was also advised to take anti histamines to help with he itchiness especially during bedtime.

It has been around four days after seeing the dermatologist and although the symptoms have greatly subsided, I'm worried about it coming back once I stop the hydrocortisone, I mean..... I can't keep using this stuff everyday for months right?

The Vaseline has helped withe the flakiness and dryness but I notice that once the Vaseline comes off and I have nothing on my lips they don't seem to have any moisture, I feel as though the top layer of my lips feels dry and cannot hold any moisture as if the top layer has been damaged and is not smooth.

I'm unsure what to do at this stage only to hope that if I keep protecting my lips with Vaseline hoping in time they will heal and create it's own barrier again.

Here's hoping for better lip days.....

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:10 am

Re: Lip Eczema experience

Sorry to hear of misdiagnosis and suffering for so many months.. lip balm without fragrance usually works for my daughter though her case is very mild and likely due to dehydration, which then sometimes becomes skin irritation. Or when her face is really dry, we would use a ceramide moisturizer in lotion form, then cover up with Tubifast wrap. We just buy the big size, and cut holes for eyes and nose :) that way most of the face and lips stay hydrated.

Take care, and hope it gets better soon. The mildest hydrocortisone lotion (google the potency that you're prescribed) should be ok to use for a month with longer intervals of not using in between. But not near eyes, best to you!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 pm

Speak to your GP about it, you said it weeps a clear fluid. It means its an infection. If creams do not work, and it seems infected you may need to speak to the GP about it. I do not think its anything serious.

rdcline@glenpoolps.org

by rdcline@glenpoolps.org on Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:26 pm

I am experiencing similar dry lips and dry itchy flakey area on my chin. PA suggessted aquafor for a week, then dermatologist and steroid cream if not better. It is better after 4 days but itchy when aquafor not applied. I am 50 and never had any issues until this. Really perplexed. I do have a beard and never had beard until 3 yrs ago. I don't get the clear liquid leakage. Just dry flakey chin and dry lips. Haven't felt "normal" in a month.

4 posts