Eye eczema and fear of steroid cream due to risks to eye health

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
niki1985

by niki1985 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Eye eczema and fear of steroid cream due to risks to eye health

Hi all

I suffer from eczema and seborrheic dermatitis and have been for years, although it was only these past few years that I really started to pay attention to it. Before that I didn't take it very seriously.
The last 2-3 years my skin conditions have gotten worse and this year its been the worst it can be. I get flare ups and have to resort to steroid creams to deal with it. However because of this I have become fearful of steroid creams. Bear in mind i used to use a mild steroid creams before the 2-3 years when my skin got worse but i wasn't aware of the side effects then but as the years went on and my flare ups increased i become more educated about my skin condition and the effects of steroid creams.

My recent flare up has been on my eye lids (all around) and the doc prescribed me a mild hydrocortisone 1% to treat it, I was too scared to use it because of the side affects and resisted for a few days until I couldn't take it anymore. Now I am carefully applying it twice a day for no more than 7 days. I am on my 5th day.

However i am terrified of the risk of glaucoma, I suffer from health anxiety anyways which doesnt help. I wanted to know if there are people out there that has used steroid creams on their eyes? Should i worry about the risks it carries to eye health, particularly glaucoma?

This is my first time using steroid on my eyes.

Ellie1996

by Ellie1996 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:00 pm

Re: Eye eczema and fear of steroid cream due to risks to eye health

I know it's a late reply and you've probably got an answer by now but I had the same flare up on my eyelids roughly 3 months ago and got prescribed the same hydrocortisone. I probably use this once a week now the epiderm ointment as a daily moisturiser twice a day, otherwise. Do you still have a flare up on your eyelids? If it's gone do you have any recommendations for a fellow sufferer? I keep telling myself that once the weather warms up maybe it will slowly disappear...

2 posts