1st dermatology appointment

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
meme1982

by meme1982 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:32 am

1st dermatology appointment

Hi this is my 1st time on this site. My son is 6 months and has suffered with quite bad eczema since about 6 weeks old. Weve tried lots of cream from the gp, none of which have worked and its gradually got worse where now it is weeping green on his face, which we cant seem to clear up. He has it on his arms, legs, torso and the worst on his face. He also has damaged nerves from a birth injury down one side and on this side the eczema is much worse. He has his 1st dermatology appointment tomorrow (waited ages for it!)and Im just wondering is there anything I should be asking? or asking for? Im fed up of seeing him suffer and being fobbed off by various gp's. His poor face is cut, bleeding and green and our whole household hasnt slept properly for months!Thanks for any replies

Isaac

by Isaac on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:42 am

Re: 1st dermatology appointment

Hi, it's just so happens that your situation is very similiar to mine... except my 7 mths old son's 1st dem appointment is coming Monday.... it has been very stressful for us too, we have to keep stopping him scratching ALL the time, night time is especailly worse. It's so bad to see his face in the morning with all the scratches and bleeding at some scars...just hard to bear.

Like yourself, we have tried a lot of ointments and emollients, some seems to work at first but then the effectiveness seems to have died off..... :( . we have also use steriod....that's not working too as I think he has got used to it already... too bad.

Since you are going to the dematologist before I do, it will be good to know what's your result and what did they recommend.

You know what actually worked for my my son Isaac? leave the country! we went away on holiday for 4 weeks and yes, no itching and scratching and reddness for 4 weeks, miracle ! :)

meme1982

by meme1982 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi we had the appointment today and the dermatologist said bascially keep using the same stuff! He has given more of everything to last 3 months. Which is Eumovate for a bad breakout, which I think is a miracle and really works for Ché, I have been given this in the past by the gp but then told by a paediatrician not to use it as it can damage his skin! Today Ive been told it is fine to use and will do him no harm. Then when the breakout has calmed we are to use the normal steroid cream, then when hes clear keep using epaderm, which he said is the best moisturiser for eczema. We also have dermol for his bath and an anti-histimine to give him before bed. Fingers crossed it all works! Good luck for your appointmnet

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi
I feel for you both. I have been exactly where you are with both of my children. It is heart breaking and you feel desperate. I used to sleep holding my son through the bars of his cot to stop him tearing at his skin. The steroids treat the eczema and repair the skin. The emollients moisturise the skin but will not work alone. We use the steroids once a day, up to 2 weeks to get on top of a bad flare and then the rule is to have more days off than on. so 3 days steroids 4 days not. But if skin good or bad use the emollient Epaderm or other at least twice a day. Get a small tub from the GP and apply every nappy change. Use your emollient also as your soap and also melt it into the bath water.

Have you stopped using fabric conditioner and always use non-biological washing powder, fairy suits us. You have lots of other options. There is wet wrapping and dermasilk suits so go back to your dermatologist if the advice does not help. Keep weaning slow and log any food reactions. Everyone blames dairy. But both my children have had it whilst breastfed from birth and my daughter has a full dairy allergy so this is not the big answer for all. We has great results by changing all our carpets for wooden floors, they both flare when visiting relatives with wool carpets. Also there are protective bedding covers available to protect from the house dust mite. Limit soft toys and either wash at 60 degrees or freeze to kill the dust mite. Yesterday I had to smuggle the class teddy home and freeze him prior to my son bringing it home tonight for the weekend. A few months ago when we had the last one his face flare was so fast and so bad it scared myself and the school were horrified by the reaction. Only ever wear 100% cotton, linen or silk.

When your baby suffers this way eczema engulfs life. Keep talking here. Sorry if you already know a lot of this.
Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

4 posts