Feeling lonely with my illness - invitation to talk

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

14 posts
deepbluenightsky

by deepbluenightsky on Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:26 am

Feeling lonely with my illness - invitation to talk

Hi
I'm 20 years old. This is my first post on this forum.
I've been struggling recently. More mentally to be honest even though my skin hurts me a lot. I feel like i want to talk to people who get me and have been through the same pain that i've been feeling for a long time. Talking to close ones does't help that much. People usually have thechnical advice, ask me what have I been eating etc. That honestly makes me feel horrible and angry. My family focuses on what can i possibly do to stop that illnes from showing itself. I just want someone to hear me out and just listen. I feel like a burden to people. I want to talk to people about it but I'm tired of the mantra that i keep hearing over and over again.
If you also feel lonely and want to just share your experience and emotions, feel free to respond. <3

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:34 pm

Re: Feeling lonely with my illness - invitation to talk

Your illness has nothing to do with what you're eating: you're not the way you are because of junk food or any other food.

I can't cure your skin condition but you could Google online skin conditions support forums. There are so many people with eczema and other such skin problems. Feeling weird and embarrassed and distressed IS awful. Problem skin affects so many people: you're not alone. Again, you're right to reach out and find that support network. I would say talk to your doctor: but you've already done that, no doubt.

Please don't feel too embarrassed: everyone knows it isn't your fault. You can't control your skin anymore than you can control the waves of the sea.

Do Google online for support forums.

KeyKeyyy

by KeyKeyyy on Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:41 pm

Hi I just wanted to post because sometimes I feel the same way that you do. Sometimes I feel the same way in my skin with my eczema. I struggle too mentally thinking about how others will think of me when they see my skin and it affects me a lot. Sometimes when I talk to others too they usually try to give me solutions on what to do instead of just listening and hearing me out.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:15 am

Sometimes a person doesn't want advice: just someone to talk to. Do tell the relevant people this: and they should comply.

Again you're not alone with your skin condition.

GiaSmith@gmail.com

by GiaSmith@gmail.com on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:07 pm

Hi!

I totally understand. I have eczema too and it SUCKS like when I look in the mirror all I can see is the eczema and it’s lonely cause I don’t know anyone else who has it. It’s hard when you feel like you’re the only one with it.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:41 pm

My brother grew up with eczema: we were constantly smoothing E45 all over him. I was spared thankfully, but know of its misery.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:58 am

Hi,

This is a great space for you to talk to other people that may be experiencing the same things as you are.
For more information this page may be useful:
https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/t ... a/articles
There are useful links to charities here that you can reach out to for extra support and advice:
https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/talkeczema/links

Hopefully these help and make you aware that you are not alone.

Talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

carlblair5144@gmail.com

by carlblair5144@gmail.com on Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:01 am

Hey There,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and express oneself, especially when struggling with mental and physical health. It's understandable that you're feeling frustrated and disconnected from the people around you. It's important to have a support system that listens and empathizes with your experiences.

It's unfortunate that your loved ones' focus has been on technical advice and solutions rather than simply being there for you. Sometimes, people may not understand the emotional toll that illness can have on a person. However, there are resources available that can help provide emotional support and understanding, such as therapy or support groups.

Speaking of medical treatment, I can relate to your struggles. Recently, I underwent medical treatment for a chronic condition that caused me a lot of pain and discomfort. Although the treatment helped improve my symptoms, I was hit with a hefty medical bill that left me feeling overwhelmed and stressed. It's important to note that medical billing can be complex and confusing, and it's okay to seek help and clarification from Medical finance solutions providers and insurance companies.

In any case, know that you are not alone in your struggles, and there are people who care and want to listen. Don't hesitate to reach out for support when you need it.
Last edited by carlblair5144@gmail.com on Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rasperoo

by rasperoo on Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:47 pm

Jus a comment that might help - I see above that someone commented that Eczema isn't related to diet. That wasn't my experience - I'd been suffering from Eczema since I was a kid and was still getting painful outbreaks and dry skin as an adult.

My partner had a thing at work where they were all giving up coffee for two weeks. I said I'd do it with her - I was a big coffee drinker. Within a few days, my eczema was nearly gone, and I don't really suffer with it any more, apart from the occasional tiny outbreak.

I'd never thought that it would be down to a dietary trigger like that, but apparently coffee stimulates cortisone. I know what it's like to suffer with this, and I want to say don't give up hope. try going back to eating very simply for a few days and see if it makes any difference. Just drink water, eat fruit and salad for a few days, see what happens with your skin. I am very lucky that I found the trigger, without coffee I don't really struggle with it any more. The only struggle I have is that I loved coffee !!

14 posts