Eczema or Contact Dermatitis?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
Rachy0103

by Rachy0103 on Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:14 am

Eczema or Contact Dermatitis?

Good morning

I’m looking for some guidance please. I’m 38 years old and whilst I am aware I have sensitive skin, up until now I have never had any troubles with my skin - it’s been blemish free, with never having hardly a spot / acne, etc.

Recently, after using a reputable face cream for about a year, I got a larger version of it. I’m suspecting their ingredients are different in the larger tub, as I experienced an immediately uncomfortable reaction on my face.

It felt like my face was on fire, it went blotchy / red and became sore and itchy. Strangely, my eyes were sore and itchy too.

Anyway, I withdrew any products used on my face and washed with water and applied petroleum jelly to try and provide a barrier to my skin.

Around 10-14 days later, it wasn’t getting better and actually got worse. When I woke up one day, I was horrified to see that I looked as though I had been stung by a bee! My face swelled up and the skin was extremely sore, hot to touch and tight, whilst feeling dry.

I then attended my GP and was given a mild steroid cream and emollient. After two applications it seems to be settled, which I’m relieved about! However my skin is very dry and flaky (not crusty and there are no blisters).

I wonder if anyone is able to comment on the above and help me to understand whether this is more likely to be contact dermatitis or perhaps eczema? Please note that over the last three months I have developed a random patch of eczema (size of a small biscuit) near the inside, bottom leg - I apply Ceterebam cream to this, but it never goes away.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Rachel

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:54 am

Re: Eczema or Contact Dermatitis?

Sorry to hear that, it feels like an out of the blue, bad experience with the cream.

I hope the rashes don't come back, and if it's the dry skin, moisturizing with a cream with ceramides might help. My daughter sometimes has dry and flaky skin on face, and usually works after using a better cream. When it was very bad, we actually wet wrap (Tubifast) her face but that may not be necessary unless the dryness persist.

We usually use a mild steroid lotion to just keep the patches under control, and if they are 'spreading', we would use anti-bacterial cream. But that's just my daughter's case cos she's had moderate to severe eczema since birth and very prone to staph infection.

Take care dear, xo
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:18 pm

Re: Eczema or Contact Dermatitis?

If my skin comes into contact with bleach, I end up with contact dermatitis on my hands: and it is sore. I can't go near bleach and some other cleaning products.

The fact I know what makes my skin flare up does help prevent it. As others knowing the triggers of their contact dermatitis will find.

3 posts