using chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
zinedine

by zinedine on Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:55 pm

using chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser

Hello, it's my first post, and I joined to write this post about what is working for me.

I had eczema during childhood, but in adulthood, it subsided. As I got older and hit my late 50s, it came back, affecting my hands pretty much exclusively, with itching, lichenification, weeping, all the symptoms. Over the past few years,I have tried mild steroids, tacrolimus, eucrisa, but the only one that works is a strong steroid (using clobetasol propianate). Recently, I underwent a dental procedure that involved me taking a 7 day course of antibiotics, and I noticed that by the end of it, my hands looked pretty good. I concluded that my hand eczema must have something to do with bacteria, and decided to try chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser, which can be purchased at any pharmacy. I wash my hands thoroughly in this just before bed, i.e. once a day, and it has definitely improved my skin condition.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:25 am

Re: using chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser

Yes! We were recommended to use that when my child was 7 month old. Now at 12yo, she's still using an anti-bacterial cleanser - we use Octenisan now as it's more gentle. But before this, we used to have chlorhexidine on facial wipe and just wipe down the skin to reduce staph bacteria. Great that you've found something that works and thanks for sharing!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:10 am

Re: using chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser

It is mainly available in over-the-counter (OTC) products used to clean and prepare the skin before surgery and before injections in order to help reduce bacteria that potentially can cause skin infections.

3 posts