tried everything nothing is working, need advice!!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

9 posts
jamespaul

by jamespaul on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 pm

tried everything nothing is working, need advice!!

Right hello everone, new to this site, james 21 from london

now i have had eczema for around 10 years now, and as im older and my appearance is very import and im just starting my modeling career off i really am getting paranoid about my skin!

at the moment i use epaderm cream, e 45, oilatum bath oil, coconut oil and i use i think its called eumovate steroid cream, i noramlly use the steriod cream every other day mostly neck arms and eye lids, i know steroid cream is never good especially on my eye lids, i want to know how bad this cream is, especially in the long term??

im allergic to milk, lactose wheat, i have had allergy tests and i have cut everything out of my diet im not suppose to eat but i still flare up, if i dont use the cream my skin is so horrible i cant wear cloths cause it cringes me out so much! and i dont want to go out the house

can someone please give me some advice in what to do? as im doing shoots now i always use steriod cream the night before as im scared of flaring up!! and the way my career is going this could be a day to day thing, and im getting worried about using the cream,

many thanks for anyone who can help

James :mrgreen:

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Re: tried everything nothing is working, need advice!!

Hi, you are better off using the steroid for 3 days all together and leave 30min after it before you moisturise, moisturise at least twice a day everyday and moisturise all over not just the bad patches. Good luck

Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

jamespaul

by jamespaul on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 pm

what you mean 3 days? as in i.e monday thursday sunday??

i shall try it and see how it goes

many thnaks

eczemagrl

by eczemagrl on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 am

Hi jamespaul,

You could try products from a brand called tribalbush organic skincare. They have goatmilk soap and pure castile soap which could help control your flare-ups. The product I really like is their honey oatmeal hand and body lotion which controls my flare-ups.

Hope this helps!

jamespaul

by jamespaul on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 pm

what actually causes a flare up?? i fought it was food but i still get them?

thanks for the infomation I will defo look in to it

many thanks

James

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:12 am

Hi!

For eyelids, do note that the thin is skin and so only mild steroids ought to be used, let me extract a blog Q&A I had with a dermatologist on eyelid eczema for you below:

Doctor's reply "Common causes include eczema and contact dermatitis secondary to eye make-up. In general, mild to mid potency steroids can be applied to the face. It should be applied twice a day and for not longer than 1-2 weeks. A mid potency steroid can be used initially then tailing down to a low potency steroid once the rash is better. Alternatively, a steroid-spring cream such as Tacrolimus or Pimicrolimus can used . In a minority of patients,Tacrolimus can cause a stinging sensation. At night, apply the cream just before you go to sleep. To prevent the steroid from dripping into the eyes, you can use a cream or ointment based steroid rather than a lotion based one which is more ‘watery’. Allow 20-30 minutes after application of the cream to the eyelids before doing activities that may cause sweating."

Make-up is not good for your eczema, is any of it triggering your eczema? Steroid shouldn't be used as a preventive/ maintenance treatment, please discuss with your doc for other options.

Take care,
Mei
p.s. I do feel how worried you are, having to be photographed yet worrying about flares!
Mei
Forum Moderator

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

eczemagrl

by eczemagrl on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 pm

jamespaul wrote:what actually causes a flare up?? i fought it was food but i still get them?

thanks for the infomation I will defo look in to it

many thanks

James
Hi James,

Yes, food can cause flare ups if you're allergic to something in the food. Processed food tends to have a lot of additives which can trigger the flare up so eat freshly cooked food as much as possible.

For me, I get a flare-up when the season changes especially when it goes from summer by-passing autumn and straight into winter then suddenly remembering that it has forgotten autumn so temperatures rise a little bit and then we find ourselves in autumn - you know, the usual weird English weather!

Also try and avoid skincare with chemical additives because that too can also cause a flare-up.

tracey.1970

by tracey.1970 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:01 am

hi,my daughter suffers from bad eczema and the only thing i found to work is purepotions skin salve (buy online or see if your doctor can get it on prescription)its all natural so shouldnt interfear with your other creams.hope you get the same results as my daughter,let me no how you get on :)

results

williamsmummy

by williamsmummy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 pm

I see you are allergic to milk , so I suspect you are sensible enough not to use the goatmilk soaps for your skin!

as for flare ups, stress can do it,( I get christmas eczema for example!) as well as winter, due to heating drying out the skin. Have you been tested for environmental allergies as well as the food ones? pollen/dander/dustmite etc.

also cold wind so perhaps add a protective moistizer before you go outside in winter.

hope things settle down for you.
Sarah Chapman
Alex Curtis Trust
Forum Moderator

9 posts